CHAPTER 34

Tired, somber and depleted army returned to Thirel fort somewhere around midnight. After a long fight and even longer trek back, soldiers couldn't wait to slip in their beds. Bloody battle for Nual-Deu, took away many lives. Despite returning victorious, they weren't feeling celebratory. After a short toast, in the remembrance of their fallen combatants, soldiers scattered in silence, towards the barracks.

Thorin invited the rest of the officers to join him in the commander's barracks, in order to collect their report details regarding the battle. Conclusive number of fifty dead, and over hundred wounded soldiers, was a rather expensive price to pay. And for what? For five carts of various ores.

"Damned bureaucrats." Thorin growled, after he finished reading the list of deceased soldiers "What bullshit reason will now be told to the families of these soldiers, in the explanation of what had happened? How to explain why their sons, brothers and husbands are not returning back home?"

"Defense of said homes is a sacred military duty. Not something to be ashamed of." Yelamir said.

"Sacred duty?!" Captain Lutir jumped readily "Stuffing coins into the councilmen pockets. Is that the duty you are referring to?"

"We are all upset, and I can understand your anger, but you have to be careful in saying those kinds of words." the paladin whispered "They can easily get you in a heap of trouble."

"You think I am afraid of those coin pushers?" Thorin wouldn't give in "Hiding behind their wealth, thinking they are untouchable. Forgetting what can happened if..."

"Captain, please calm yourself down." Gelian said "No worth of losing your sleep over them."

Thorin stopped, although he was still seething with fury. His lieutenant was right, but he just could not keep his mouth shut. Many years ago, he would silently obey, accepting the fate. But not anymore. With a frown on his face, the captain sat in his chair, grabbing the bottle of wine. He meant to say something else, but the intense knocking on the door interrupted his thoughts.

"Captain!" a soldier yelled, panting heavily, "Courier from Issurk had arrived earlier, this morning, bringing this letter."

"Another urgent official business it seems." Thorin pretended to be excited, waving to the soldier to bring it to him.

And the envelope certainly looked like that. Captain Lutir tore the seal, taking out the orderly folded piece of white paper. He took a couple more sips of wine, before opening the letter. Reluctantly, Thorin began reading, but his facial expression and demeanor changed in an instant, after just a couple of opening sentences. Pale as a ghost, he jumped, throwing the bottle against the wall, on the other side of the room.

"Gelian!" Thorin yelled running out of the barracks "You are in charge of the fort until my return."

"What?! But captain where...what?!" a scout went after him, but Thorin already disappeared behind the corner.

Before Gelian even came halfway to the stables, Thorin was mounting his horse.

"Captain, wait. I don't understand the meaning of this?"

As he passed by, Throin threw the crumpled piece of paper towards the scout. A letter he received from the Issurk. Apparently, something was quite important in it.

"Read it boy, and take care of the fort."

Before Gelian could even begin unfolding the crumpled paper, Thorin rode from the fort. Scout hastily read the message, running back to the commander's barracks.

"What is going on?" Saekul asked.

"Some robbers attacked councilor Eilonna on her way back to Issurk." Gelian said "Lieutenant Lutir was injured with some kind of poison, or something."

"W...what? And what about the councilor?" Yelamir wasn't hiding being concerned.

"Apparently, she is fine." the scout answered, "She's the one that sent this letter to the captain."

"And where is Thorin?" Saekul asked quietly.

"With the way he rushed out of the fort, he could be a halfway to Issurk by now." Gelian tried to remain positive.

"It's that serious?" Yelamir asked, in surprisingly genuine concern for the half-orc's well being.

"I fear for the worst." Gelian let out a sigh "If that big half-orc don't make it through, I wouldn't be in the skin of whomever is responsible. Captain Lutir will flip over the earth and the sky to find the culprits."

"Let us hope it won't come to that." Saekul said "I am heading for the beds gentlemen, we are to ride back home in the morning."

"Me too." Yelamir agreed, turning towards Gelian "But don't you worry. Your half-orc friend is in good hands, Issurk has the finest healers of all."

Scout nodded, thanking the paladin for his reassuring, and kind words. As he said goodbyes to the both of them, he too left the barracks. He was in a dire need of rest. His cabin was right next to Bagtur's, and it looked like it had seen much better days. Some of the walls had to be reinforced. A couple of window shutters had to be replaced, but as long as the roof wasn't leaking Gelian had no complaints. He was just opening his doors, when he suddenly stopped, hearing the loud thunder behind his back, and to the east. The storm was nearing them, and nearing them fast.