CHAPTER 68

It was an early dawn when Grodish left his chambers. Zhinnaeg was still asleep, bar fifty odd soldiers, stationed in the lookouts and guard posts hidden throughout the entire crag. Tired, after a night of long watch, they were eagerly awaiting for the shift, which was due in about an hour. Sudden appearance of the new king surprised them a bit. But Grodish had no intentions to stop and bother them. He was heading for the main watchtower.

The climb to the top of it would usually take around twenty or so minutes. Narrow, spiral staircase carved through the tower led all the way up. Spear from the skies, as the orcs were calling this natural stone formation, was a tower, in the exact center of the town. And it did resemble the spear. Its pointy top was often covered in clouds. But today was bright and sunny. Grodish could see the lookout.

Small, rectangular holes, every twenty feet or so, let just enough light through the thick walls of the tower. It must've taken months, perhaps even years, to dig all the way to the top. Tedious, monotonous climb, gave the half-orc time to reflect on everything that happened in the past couple of months.

Roshnak warned him about the numerous dangers of the swamp. And he wasn't exaggerating. Something Grodish found out, not a couple of hours, after they arrived in Tanmar. In the space of a couple of weeks, he had more battles than in his entire life. Half-orc now understood why Roshnak insisted on taking it slow, if he was to achieve what he came in here for. And he was on the good path. His fighting skill grew. With it, so was his confidence. He was now leading an army.

But then again, challenges ahead of him were considerably tougher, than all of those before, put together. For the young king, everything till now was just a practice. And he was eager for more. Following the shaman, Grodish became fearless. Some would say it was the usual trait of the young, inexperienced warriors, but half-orc learned to trust in his abilities. That was one of the reasons he became a king of Zhinnaeg. Broolg underestimated his young challenger, and before he realized his mistake, it was too late.

Whiff of fresh air brushed half-orc's face. He was close to the top. Sun just came out from behind Laorn, blinding him for a moment. In the next, he saw the faces of sleeping soldiers, to the left of the exit. They were leaning their backs against another's, to be sure they didn't fall from this flimsy lookout nest. Grodish had no intentions to wake them up, but his steps interrupted their light sleep. Well embarrassed, at first they did not know what to do. Or even to say.

"Get some proper rest boys." half-orc waved them off, to their relief.

He had no reason to discipline them.

Soldiers saluted, rushing down the steep and narrow stairs. New king had forgiven them this time. They would be much more careful, not to disappoint him anymore. Former king had a habit of changing his decisions on a whim. This new, they did not have a chance to acquaint themselves with yet. It was better just to leave, while they still could. But Grodish did not care for their lapse. He was pleased to stay alone on the lookout.

View of the swamp was breathtaking. It seemed as if the entire place sat on half-orc's palm. He could spot anything miles away. No wonder, Zhinnaeg had a reputation of being unconquerable. From this position, one could easily see the invaders, more than three days away. Grodish turned around a bit, but the Laorn peaks were just too high for him to see the Chaygor. Only a month or so in this swamp were more than enough to start yearning for the homeland. One more reason to carry out his vengeance fast.

First ones that will feel his rage were going to be those Gollvin miners. Humans will predictably answer to this declaration of war, drawing his mother's killer out, in the open. Only in the death of that man, Grodish could find his inner peace. There was no doubt in his mind, he would manage to do it. After all of this, he simply could not afford to fail.

Loud, piercing sound of horn echoed through Zhinnaeg, signaling the change of the guards. It also meant, it was time for Grodish to leave the lookout. Planning the attack will take the majority of the several next days. But that didn't bother him. In fact, the young king secretly looked forward to it.

Miner's town was dug deep inside the mountains, perhaps even more than Zhinnaeg. Grodish took one last look towards the west. There, protected by the sharp edged cliffs and slopes of Laorn, was Gollvin. Soon to be orcish, miner town.

TO BE CONTINUED IN BLOOD VENGEANCE PART ONE