CHAPTER 33

Night descended over the swamp, a couple of minutes before Moorg decided he should stop his riding wolf. Tired animal breathed heavily, almost at the end of his strength. Cold, clear, river water provided much needed refreshments. Goblin went towards the nearby hill. His intentions were to find some suitable camping spot. And he was in luck. For as soon as he approached the slope, he noticed the entrance into a small cave. It seemed abandoned, but still it took him more than a minute, before he dared to venture inside. The cave was empty. Just about twenty feet long and half that wide. It was more of a lair, than anything else. Not long after, a small fire burned in the far corner of this small shelter.

Moorg took several pieces of fresh venison, tossing it on the hot stones, surrounding the fire. Pleasant smell of cooked meat filled the entire space, making the starving wolf whimper silently, out of hunger. Impatient, he took the circles around his master, pushing goblin gently with his muzzle, from time to time.

"Patience." Moorg would say every time he was touched.

Wolf understood him, as he sat beside, but kept looking at the fire. Couple of minutes later, both of them enjoyed devouring the delicious meat. Silent echoes of the thunder storm could be heard somewhere over the mountains, to the northeast. Rain began to fall, not a minute later. Soothing sounds of raindrops made them realize how tired they actually were. Wolf gently barked, as Moorg scratched him behind the ear, lying down onto the dry, warm, soft ground. Not long after that, they were both asleep.

Large, dark shadow appeared at the cave entrance smelling the air. It was a bear. Coarse hairs on his neck stood up, as he recognized the scent he was following almost the entire day. Bear turned around, hastily heading away from the hole, without making any sounds. His keen sense led him up the hill, not far away. Large lightning tore across the sky, helping the bear to find the entrance into another, much larger cave.

Rotten stench of decomposed carcass irritated his nostrils. Bear decided to walk inside. Loud, deep breathing could be heard from the far, dark end of the lair. Ursu made a couple of more steps, before the silent, threatening growl, made him stop. A pair of dangerously looking eyes were watching him from the darkness. Yet another lightning shone the interior of the cave, in the moment when a large, black cat, jumped towards the bear.