CHAPTER 61

Small procession slowly moved over the cobblestone road connecting Issurk and Vallsynk. Heavily armed soldiers escorted high councilor Eilonna Falkner, accompanied by commander of the fort, Yelamir Kaladan. They were riding at the front. Silent, pensive at her own mind, Eilonna hasn't said anything since they've left Issurk. Paladin was well right with that, he too had much to contemplate.

Councilor Falkner's ceremonious, black gown, was decorated in a beautiful elven, gold pattern, weaved around the waistline. Long, silk scarves fluttered, waved and swayed on the light breeze, coming from the lake. With her head down, looking at the ground in front, she was far away in her thoughts, trying to find just one reasonable explanation. Trying to find something that will make sense. That will calm her down.

Just recently, and all of the sudden, she found out there are people who knew about her ancestry. About her parents. She learned about the people who knew about the secrets of her life. The secrets, well hidden even from her. But for what reason? From whom were Saekul and Zaanven protecting her? She thought she was safe here, in the far north. Was she wrong? Perhaps vard knew something more, when he decided to intervene and change their agreement.

From what she was told, every member of her family had either been incarcerated or killed. She did not know all of the details, but they were accused and branded as traitors. They became renegades from elven ways and customs. Eilonna was left alone, here in Issurk, under the protection of lord Olveen Zaanan, who soon enough assumed the role of her grandfather. And he did keep her safe, promising no one was to find her, or hurt her. But now, everything seems to be coming back. Did someone find out who she actually was?

Again, she immediately thought of Vlaazh. Vard was helping her in so many, different ways. Perhaps, he could also help her with this. She almost forgot, she was introduced with this crafty helper by the lord Zaanan himself. And vard certainly helped her a lot. He helped her climb up to the position of power, once Olveen had passed. Eilonna had so many questions. She was getting angry, knowing those answers would be difficult to obtain. She could always try and demand for it straight from Vlaazh, but she was a bit afraid of him.

Vards were always helping her, but their enigmatic, secretive ways and the manner in which they conducted their business, scared her for some time now. Their isolation from the rest of the world was quite strange to say the least. But Eilonna respected their wishes to stay that way. It seemed, in all of their secrecy, Vlaazh kept the secret of her ancestry as well. But why, and to what purpose, councilor Falkner was yet to find out.

Official invitation to the last farewell of the deceased Vallsynk councilors, was a perfect opportunity for Eilonna to meet with Saekul. She was yearning for answers, and the commander of Vallsynk armies certainly had some. If nothing else, the elf owed her that much.