Part 1

Nova's POV

I feel my stomach clench as I ache for food. I'm curled up in a ball in an alleyway. A cardboard box surrounds me on all sides except for the front of me. The box is getting wetter and wetter as it rains harder. I shiver and try to make a fire in my hand to keep myself warm. But I'm too weak to do anything. So I take a few deep breaths and curl in on myself more as the wind picks up. After what feels like hours, I fall asleep.

The next morning I slowly walk out of the alleyway. My legs are weak and filled with cuts and burns. I walk to a corner and put a small can in front of me as I sit down and lean on the wall. I watch as people go about their day. Only about four people stop and give me a little bit of money. It might be enough to get food later. My stomach growls at the thought of food. I curl into a ball and lay my head on my arms. My body too tired to even hold my head up.

"Here." I hear a man say. I slowly look up and see a man with a weird smile and clown makeup. "Take it!" He says while laughing. I then notice the backpack in his hand. I slowly take it. My arms aching. I unfold and put the bag on my lap. "T-thank y-ou." I croak out. Not used to talking and my throat hurting from no water. "Bye!!" The man says as he walks away. I open the bag and inside is a couple bottles of water, a blanket, a tarp, and some food.

I smile and slowly get up. I look around trying to find the man. But he is nowhere to be seen. So I grab my stuff and go back into my alleyway. I sit down and grab a bottle of water and a can of peaches. I open the can and grab my knife. Then I start to eat. For the first time in five days. I drink some water and sigh. After just half the can of peaches, I get full. So I put the can off to the side to finish later. I grab my blanket and put my backpack on the ground as a pillow. I sigh and slowly fall asleep.