Chapter Eleven: Part Two: Fall

This chapter contains elements of alcohol dependency.

With the arrival of fall, changing leaves and a cooler breeze came tilling the earth some more to get it ready for replanting once again. Determined to get the seed planted within the next week, Tee sighed as she leaned against her rake and took a breather. She'd worked most of the land and hadn't felt so thirsty in days. In the weeks since Britt had come home, she felt more at peace, but that drive to grab her flask still hadn't fully disappeared.

Distraught with herself, she closed her eyes and thought about her family. Tee thought of Oscar running around with his wife and daughter every evening before they all tucked into his father's country home. She thought of teaching Cian Junior to fish at their pond and take care of the new piglets he doted on with fervent love. She thought of sleeping nightly with Britt and the small hums and quick twitches of her fingers she released as if she were composing a song in her sleep.

Tee opened her eyes and let out the air from her lungs. The desire to drink was still there, but it wasn't as fierce and she felt her shoulders lift ever so slightly. Tee glanced toward the cause of her anxiety and watched as Oscar and a few of the other farmhands helped to set up for tonight's shindig. It was her uncle's seventy-third birthday and everyone in the local area was coming to celebrate. His birthday parties were the biggest hit every year for many reasons.

The first was the music. They always got a live band to play, had a back-up DJ who also happened to be one of the farmhands and a local backyard folk band that had been in the area for decades always ended the night with energetic music that sent everyone into many jovial dances. Tee loved dancing, but was especially excited to dance the entire night away with Britt and Cian Junior.

The next element of their parties for which they acclaimed much fame were the games. Every year, Tee and Oscar looked online and found giant sized games that entertained most of the adults for at least the beginning of the evening, but the kids for the entire party. They also got moonwalks and other blow-up obstacle courses for the kids, which inevitably attracted quite a few adults as well.

This year they were bringing out all the old games most loved by the community, unable to afford any new ones after such a harsh drought if they wanted to pay the musicians and get the absolutely necessary supplies. There were two bouncy houses, one of which they personally owned, and a pushball to determine the strongest family in the community, as was tradition. Tee was excited to play the games with Junior in particular and couldn't wait to see his face when he finally got to jump in a moonwalk for the first time. He really loved jumping on her bed and she couldn't imagine him being disappointed in what fun they had to offer him tonight.

Lastly, they had an area designated for drinkers that ultimately sparked her anxiety. It would be filled with the crowd Tee ran with most of her life and while she wanted them to have fun, she wasn't going anywhere near the space. Not with the odd thirst growing within herself, in spite of her mind's protests. As she thought more of the carousing they did together over the years, she found herself picturing a bottle of bourbon and her mouth watered.

Suddenly feeling hollow at the sensation, Tee clutched her chest and tried to bring back the warmth. She closed her eyes and waited. After several minutes and more of her breathing exercises, the apprehension began to wane. She then heard a giggle from behind herself and opened her eyes, turning around.

Tee spotted Tabi and Cian standing about fifteen yards away and peering upward toward something. She peeked at what caught their attention and found Britt with several clothes pins in her hand. Tee squinted, noticing Oscar unwittingly stood in front of her with his hands on his hips as he spoke with Craig and Britt was placing the pins along the back of his flannel.