The Future?

Wow... It's already been two months since the entire human race disappeared. (Other than yourself of course.) 

I initially didn't want to commit any crimes, but it was no point in sticking to that plan the moment it was pledged. Who would even care?

So I went on a trip across the country. (A/N in this au everyone lives in America.) Trust me when I say I was able to grab a boatload of souvenirs. I grabbed the constitution aka the one thing I always tried to pledge to while solving my cases, I was able to grab Lincoln's top hat. I went down to Disney World and looted the entire park. 

At the same time, I was curious. Curious to see if someone was out there. It wasn't too far-fetched if there was someone that went through the same predicament as me. I have to find them that's all.

And that is what I tried to do, but my endeavors were unsuccessful. I checked every single state in mainland America, but no one remained, and to be honest, I was losing hope that there was anyone still out there. 

I loved being alone... It was the most incredible experience a person can have, but at one moment or another, I had to find someone to talk to. At one point I started to pretend I was having conversations with characters from my favorite books, movies, television shows... I was lacking human interaction, and I was getting lonelier by the minute.

"Good morning Harry, Sherlock, Kyoko... How are you today?" I asked the three of them, and I got no response. 

It looks like they were deep in thought in another world. Sherlock was reading the newspaper, Harry was looking at a book called Sorcery 101, and Kyoko... Well she was simply ignoring me. 

It was fun to make up these fun scenarios with the characters you loved. For a while that was the closest I had to human interaction in a long time. 

However one day I walked into the library, and that is when I noticed a melody in the back of the library. 

It sounded like someone was playing the piano, and the music was a joy to my ears. I honestly yearned for a melody like that... It was calming and peaceful and it was the perfect music I could listen to while reading. 

Wait someone? Someone was playing the piano! T-there was someone else here! I- I'm not alone!

"Hello!? Is someone there? Hello! Hello!?" I shouted, and who greeted me was a beautiful blond girl.

"Huh? O-oh my goodness! Hello! H-how is this possible!?" She responded in absolute happiness but confusion, and I could only reply to her with the same exact question.

"I d-don't know y-you t-tell me..." I stuttered before having a full breakdown in front of the musical genius.

I didn't care anymore. She was the only girl in the world that I could cry in front of, and by the looks of it she was fully understanding of my breakdown. It didn't take long for her to start crying too. 

That day was the happiest moment that I ever had in my entire life. Not even having kids, or getting married was better than this. 

That day I knew that the human race would have a future, and I would no longer be alone. There was a girl here to explore this barren world with me, and even though it was just the two of you. I knew everything was going to be alright. 

"W-w-where have you been t-this e-en-entire time!?" I tried to ask her through the sound of our murmuring. 

"I- I- I set up a challenge for m-myself... I would p-play every p-piano in the country..." She responded fighting through her own tears as well.

"I- I am Shuichi..."

"Kaede, Kaede Akamatsu."