Maki and the Virus

Maki's pov

Six Months Earlier...

I couldn't believe it. The clan was decimated. It's just me and Marissa. We never talked, but the moment the last clan leader died we were celebrating. 

It had been years of suffering, but we were the final two left. Based on how the virus was treating humanity we may be wiped out in only a few months, but... We may be immune...

So many of our colleagues, bosses, and everyone we have ever known were all dying from the virus. However, we just watched in good health as they all succumbed to the virus. I wanted to feel bad, but this is karma against the human race. I and Marissa had some kind of purpose. Like we were selected to be the people that could save the human race. I could actually sense some kindness in the girl. For the past few months we have been bonding and hitting it off very well, and this was the first time I have ever made a friend in years. 

I could still remember the exact day in February. Coincidentally my 22nd birthday my final boss passed away. Marissa rushed to wake me up!

"Maki! Maki! Wake up this is urgent!" Marissa exclaimed, and I didn't really like being forced up like this...

"Marissa! What the hell! I'm trying to get my beauty sleep what do you possibly want at this ungodly hour!?" I hissed at Marissa, but that didn't break her happy demeanor.

"Hugo is dead! He passed this morning!" Marissa celebrated, and that was able to get me out of my beauty sleep.

I jumped out of bed and I hugged Marissa. We jumped up and down and that was probably the best day ever. The amount of happiness we felt at that moment was indescribable. 

She was crying happy tears, and I wasn't much of an emotional person, but I felt a few tears streaming down my own cheeks as well. 

We took their coffee and celebrated and reminisced over what we have been through the past few years. 

"Maki I am happy we are the only ones left

"Maki I am happy we are the only ones left. Sure there may be a few people in the city still, but sooner or later we might be the final people on this planet." Marissa explained, and that would be bewildering. 

I'm sure if anyone else was in our situation would panic, or maybe feel a lot of sorrow for what happened to all of those sick people.

But to be honest the only other person we cared about was each other. The rest of the human race left was to root in that orphanage. We were forced to kill so many innocent people, but this time it wasn't our fault. I always felt awful for Marissa, and no matter how many years passed by she always feared killing people. I got used to it, but Marissa still had fragments of humanity in her. I mean you guys were almost identical personality-wise, but the only difference you had was she still had hope. I didn't. 

"I hope we can stay together forever... Not in a romantic way!" I blurted out, and Marissa understood.

"Yeah... Definitely not in a romantic way... Haha..."