Homecoming

"There is no way this is real! T-there is just no way!" I said to myself as I left the inventors house.

It was very astounding that a girl like Miu would fall for someone like Kokichi Ouma. I mean they were pretty insane together! They were the furthest thing from dating or even being friends in the first place despite all they have been through together.

I was planning to go home after that little confrontation with Miu, but that is when I saw Kaito rushing out of his house in pure happiness and hyperness. It was weird seeing him like that. He isn't that crazy!

When he laid eyes on me he immediately flocked over to me. He was like a lost little kid, but the moment he found his parents he got very excited.

"Shuichi you won't believe this! Mina is here!" Kaito excliamed, and I didn't know who that even was...

"Mina? Who's that?"

"Well we went to the same highschool together, and to be honest I may have had a crush on her. She was also in the space program, but she got sick before she went onto the ISS with me." Kaito explained, and I had to see her.

Out of anyone that could still be alive it was Kaito's crush and coworker!? My ears weren't even comprehending this.

"Okay Kaito you better not be pranking me. If so this isn't cool!" I reminded him, and he seemed to understand.

That is when Kaito brought me to his house, and... Holy s-

"Oh my goodness hi! I'm Shuichi!" I introduced myself to the redheaded astronaut, and she was delighted to meet me.

"Shuichi hello! I am honored to make your acquaintance. It's been so long since I met a person that I know never had a crush on me!" She immediately said to me, and I was perplexed by that greeting.

Why would she mess with Kaito at a time like this?

"Um... So Mina how did you get here?" I asked Mina trying to pretend I didn't hear her comment about Kaito.

"Well I came from Florida. I was going to be an astronaut, but I got covid three days before we left. I was disgusted with myself! I left the adventure of a lifetime slip away from me because of a stupid virus! Turns out I was lucky to just get covid and not something like it.

"It's a miracle!" Kaito laughed.

"... So is it just the three of us or are there other people?" Mina asked.

"Well you met me and you are very familiar with Kaito. There are also two other girls named Miu and Maki, and there is a guy named Kokichi."

"Well that is sweet! Say can you give us a second Shuichi. I have to talk to Kaito about something." Mina stated, and I agreed to give them some privacy.

Kaito's POV

After Shuichi left I expected the worst. There was one thing I didn't bring up that was and still is very important to the story.

I may or may not have confessed to Mina days before we were supposed to leave for the space station.

I knew I was going to space with her, and I didn't want to spend months with her without her knowing the truth about everything. Despite my nervousness and paronoia around her I wanted to break the ice we had between us.

Five days before we had to leave I went to see her after training. It was very stressful talking to because by that time I realized I liked her. Come on. There was no other explanation about it, and I was shocked I had the courage to even speak to her in a more normal tone of voice.

"Kaito I still don't know why you asked me out here today. I thought you had some kind of hatred or distain to me." Mina questioned me, and I had to get the truth onto the table.

"Mina you won't believe me but I have a crush on you. The moment I laid eyes on you I had an obvious attraction to you. I doubt you have feelings for me, but I really wanted to break the ice before we went to the space station together. I- I guess I am ready to here your rejection..." I managed to explain to her with barely any stuttering.

Mina looked away from me before speaking another word. She didn't expect some kind of confession when she was coming to meet me here today.

That is when she told me an unexpected confession, and that day on I pondered over why she said what she said that day.

"I like you too." Mina mumbled, and that is when she looked away in embarrassment.

I was seriously expecting a rejection. Not this!

"I wanted to tell you how I felt, but for some reason something was telling me not to. I had feelings for you. Maybe I even sheltered some love for you, but... I don't know why I didnt say anything. When I was partnered up with you in ninth grade I let my ego get to me. It was obvious you were nervous around me because-"

"Just shut up and kiss me."

Mina was startled by my demand, but she kissed me. It was so firm and it was honestly the combination of years of waiting and the disruption of a universe that didn't want us together.

We promised to start our relationship after we got back from the ISS so we didn't get sidetracked from our work. I was hopeful for the future despite the rise of the virus.

That is when Mina got sick, and all my hope was dashed away. I thought when she had the virus she actually had it instead of covid. I thought she was dead but here she was alive and happy.

"Kaito I know what you are trying to do. I know you still like me, and there is no way time is going to stand in our way again. Can we carry out our promise?" Mina stated and she then pulled out her pinkie finger.

"Of course!" I replied with a wide smile on my face, and I wrapped my own pinkie around Mina's.

Really Kaito? A pinkie promise?

That is when we finally started making out.

Good job Kaito! You finally got the girl!