Leaving Town

Dear Shuichi and Maki,

I am going back to my hometown in Walton, New York. I forgot to grab a few things, so I will be taking the van with me. I hope you two don't get bored without me! I miss you both already!

With Regards, Kaede

I had no clue Kaede was planning on going back to Walton. I thought her home was already filled to the brim with music memorilibia... I guess it wasn't enough for her. 

That is when I heard a knock on my door, and it was obviously Maki.

"Did you get a note from Kaede too?" Maki asked, me and I showed her my note.

"Yeah, I don't know what else she needs. She already showered her house with stuff related to music." I affirmed, and Maki nodded.

"I mean Kaede is just... A work and a half, but we love her." Maki responded with a grin on her face.

That is when it hit me. This is the first time I hung out with Maki alone. The other times we talked we were with Kaede, and now it was just the two of us. 

"Do you want to come in Maki? I can make us some breakfast." I suggested, and Maki nodded and she stepped inside my home. 

My house was still well organized and sorted, and I always made sure it was pampered incase one of the girls wanted to come in and talk. 

"Hey Shuichi... You have a lot of... Unique posters in your living room. I didn't know you were a fan of My Chemical Romance." Maki commented, and I didn't feel like talking about My Chemical Romance once again...

"U-uh yeah I like their music. It makes me feel comfortable and erm- can we change the subject?" I insisted, and Maki nodded again.

Maybe I should ask Maki more about her life before the virus? She said she was a caretaker to kids at her orphanage. Maybe we can talk about that?

"Maki when you were at the orphanage who was your favorite kid to take care of?" I asked Maki as I threw the pancakes onto the pan. 

"Hmm... Well there was this one kid named Nicholas that wasn't as obsessed with me as the other kids. He would do his own thing, and whenever I hung out with him I could actually talk to him like a normal human being. They were kids, but I had a feeling he had some kind of maturity to him." Maki explained, and it was nice getting to know your new friend better.

"I never hung out with kids much before the pandemic. I was an only child, and most of my family lived in other states. My parents were always busy with work, and the only person in my family I actually bonded with was my uncle Kogoro. He always made time with me, and he was one of the main reasons I became a detective." I disclosed to Maki.

"You were lucky to have a family Shuichi. I never had that opportunity. I found out my parents were killed a few years after they gave me up to the orphanage. When I was younger I was actually stupid enough to think someone from my family would come looking for me, and I would be loved... Yet in the end that was... Pretty dumb of me to think that. They gave me up, and they didn't give two shits about me." Maki complained with anger in her voice, and as the pancakes cooked I sat down with Maki.

This poor girl... At this point she is in a better position then she was before the virus. She wasn't loved, and she was only accompanied by kids all day. She didn't have any friends, and her family didn't care about her. Now that she was her me and Kaede gave her all the love she deserved, and if it I never found Kaede, Maki would be the one I fell in love with...

"I'm so sorry Maki..."

"Can we please not talk about this anymore? I usually don't talk to people about things like this..." Maki said, and I was perplexed she wanted to stop talking about it now but I obliged for my friend.

We then stopped talking afterward, and we didn't say another word to each other until the food was done. 

"Shuichi do you have any hobbies? I'm going to assume that you don't sit around and listen to My Chemical Romance all day long." 

"Hmm... Well I like to watch shows that describe murder cases, and I like to predict who the murderer was before the police and investigators find out who did it. I'm right most of the time, but I can still be surprised from time to time." I explained to Maki who seemed very interested by that.

"Shuichi I actually watched a few at the orphanage when I actually had some free time, and they were actually very interesting. I'm usually on the other side of it, so it was a nice change." Maki revealed, and what did she mean by that!?

"Umm Maki what do you mean you were usually on the other side of it?" I asked Maki with a suspicious tone of voice.

"Huh? Oh sorry... I was blurting out randomness. Anyway maybe we could watch an episode of Dateline together?" Maki asked and I agreed with her.

"Sure Maki. Maybe we can watch some before bed tonight?" I told Maki, and she loved that idea.

That day I felt closer to Maki, and we were honestly becoming bestfriends, and I couldn't pick anyone else but her to be my best friend. She was so awesome, and it was like she was a female version of me at times. I even got her into My Chemical Romance, and she introduced me to Linkin Park! (Good job Maki!) I never liked rap mixed with rock and roll, but Mike Shinoda was about to hit it straight on the mark. 

We missed Kaede and we couldn't wait for her to get back, but if it was just the both of us we would be just fine. 

Kaede's POV

It was kind of strange being alone again. I was with Maki and Shuichi, but now I am going back to where I started. 

So far it was a quiet ride to New York. Pennsylvania seemed so desolate, and there were mostly forests and highways. Until I made it to the border of New York... I found something that changed my future. 

Another vehicle? 

There was a speeding sports car on the road, and when I saw it my instinct was to immediately hit the brakes.

I ran out the van, and the purple car stopped too. 

I saw... A man?