1

TW: Abuse

My grandfather drove slowly through my old town, which would now be my new one. He came to a stop outside of my father's house and smiled at me.

"I'll grab your cases out of the boot, but I have to rush off," he said as he got out of the car. I followed and helped unload my stuff from the boot.

"See you in the summer Pop, I love you" I hugged my grandfather goodbye.

"See you then sweetheart, stay safe, and have a good first day" he kissed me on the forehead before getting back into the car and driving away, leaving me standing alone outside of my old house.

I took a deep breath and grabbed two of my cases then walked into the house. Immediately, I saw my father asleep on the couch, a bottle hanging from his hand and the TV still on.

I checked my watch and saw it was extremely early, 5 am to be exact. I lugged the rest of my cases into the house, quietly, trying not to wake anyone else up, especially my father as I knew what he was like.

While I waited for them to wake up, I cleared up the mess that surrounded my father. I shook my head in disappointment, he had told me on the phone that he changed. Clearly, this wasn't the case.

"Vanessa, you're home," my father said, walking into the kitchen.

"Hey Dad," I smiled, unsure of how to act, it had been 7 years since I last saw him. Well them.

"Give your old man a hug," he opened his arms to welcome me, to which I accepted.

"Are Finney and Gwen awake yet?" I asked eagerly.

"You can go and wake them, they're late," he checked his watch.

I walked through the house, looking into each room, seeing how nothing had changed much, except there were many more pictures of my mother hung up now. I smiled looking at them, then returned to going to wake my siblings up.

"Finney, get up," I smiled widely as the boy's eyes opened.

"Ness!" he shouted, causing Gwen to come into his room.

"You're back!" she exclaimed.

The two ran in to hug me so I engulfed them in my arms.

"Shut up!" I heard my dad shout from the kitchen, I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

"Still the same?" I questioned.

"Yep," Finney replied while pushing me out of his room so he could get ready, Gwen went off to her room as well.

I went into the living room and grabbed a few of my bags.

"What are you doing?" my father asked, anger in his voice. His mods had changed just like that.

"Taking my things to my room," I sighed. I had grown up a lot since I had last dealt with my father, I was stronger now and I'd fight back if he did anything to me or my siblings.

"Don't talk back to me Misses, you have been here for five minutes and you already think you own the place, this is why we sent you to your grandparents," he shot at me.

I huffed "I know, you told me that when I was nine as you pushed me into Pop's car," I argued back, walking away to my room with some of my bags.

"Jesus Ness, I'd pack it in if I were you," Finney stood in my doorway.

"I'm not a little girl anymore Finn, I've changed, we haven't seen each other since we were nine," I gave him a sympathetic look.

"He'll beat you though," Finney pleaded.