Practice Makes Perfect

"Okay that's enough." James said stepping in between Nagatoro and Naoto. "Pretty close fight, but I'm going to have to give it to Naoto." Nagatoro rolled her eyes, clearly disappointed.

"I haven't won a single time ever since that spar. You worked some magic, senpai!" James chuckled. 

"No," he patted Naoto on the shoulder, "he always had magic in him, just never had the confidence to bring it on display." Naoto giggled nervously while rubbing the back of his head.

Thank you James, had you not believed in me when no one else did, I don't think I'd have it in me to...

"Naoto?" James clicked his fingers, snatching him out of his trance. 

Few Hours Of Training Later:

"Okay, see you at the tournament tomorrow, god willing." James said as Naoto departed from him and Nagatoro into his house. James sighed, in frustration. 

"What's up senpai, you look very out of it all of a sudden."

"It's Naoto, I fear that he won't do good in the tournament. Not because he's bad, but because he isn't confident; or at least not as confident as I'd hope for him to be. God, I hope I helped him."

"I think you did great." She said slightly blushing. James smiled, too blushing very lightly.

"Really? Thanks, I try but it's actually all up to the person training to put the work in." They began walking, side by side.

"So, senpai, any plans for the rest of the day?" James raised an eyebrow.

"You're very interested aren't you." James said jokingly.

"I mean I guess I am. I don't have much to do so..." James went silent for a few seconds, trying to remember if he had any errands to run.

"No, I think I don't have anything to do." Nagatoro stepped in front of him.

"In that case, do you wanna go to the park with me?" James gave it a thought.

"I mean I don't feel like going to the park right now..." Nagatoro cleared her throat.

"That's fine, I guess you'd rather have a date with your manga than a pretty girl like me." James face palmed. 

This girl is so annoying!

The Park:

"So what exactly do you want to do here?" James said, but Nagatoro didn't seem to hear. But how could she among the noise in the theme park. "Nagatoro!" 

"Yes?" 

"You said we were going to a park, not a theme park!" Nagatoro giggled.

"My bad I guess." They continued forward, playing a few games as they went. Eventually, they got to where Nagatoro really wanted to go, "the Ferris wheel!" James and Nagatoro stared at it's sheer size in awe. "I really wanna go, please senpai." She pleaded. James shrugged, as though allowing her to go. Nagatoro jumped up and down ecstatically as they waited their turn on the Ferris wheel. 

James scrolled through his phone in boredom. 

"Senpai, what're you doing!" James snapped his head up in confusion.

"What?" She pointed at his phone.

"No phones, we're going to enjoy this." James rolled his eyes, but pocketed the phone because he didn't want an earful. At last, their turn came, and they sat down. As they ascended, James pulled out his phone and began scrolling through it. Nagatoro noticed this. "I said no phones!" James jumped, almost throwing his phone off the Ferris wheel.

"Okay, okay!" James once again pocketed his phone. For a few moments there was silence. "Oh I forgot to tell you something, you'll be receiving a parcel in a few days under your name, don't forgot to collect it. "Nagatoro nodded, which was weird since he'd thought she would definitely ask him question's regarding it; but decided to pay it no attention. 

"Hey senpai, can I ask you something?" James lifted his head up and nodded. "That girl you told me about," she got up and sat next to him, "have you asked her out yet?" She asked, in a very unfamiliar tone. James straightened his posture, and sat up.

"That's a... Umm... Very random question..." Nagatoro pressed him again.

"Have you, I'm serious." James was still puzzled as to why she cared about this so much. Not knowing how to respond, he hesitated to answer.

"I... I... No..." He mumbled. 

"Whatcha say?"

"I haven't yet." He said audibly. She smiled.

"Why, You like her don't you?" 

"Of course, but I just don't know how to approach her." James replied shying his eyes away from hers. 

"I see." There was silence before she clicked her fingers as an idea popped into her mind. "Why don't you practice it with me?" James laughed out loud, he wasn't falling for one of her routine teases again. But when he did return his gaze to her, she looked strangely serious... Almost as if she wanted him to practice his confession on her. 

"You're joking, right?" Her cheeks were lit ablaze. 

"Isn't that what you say? 'Practice makes perfect'?" James suddenly felt as though the temperature had risen to a point of boiling him. The longer she stayed next to him, the more he felt himself suffocate. 

"Nagatoro... You're serious?" Her silence and aversion of her eyes was answer enough for him. "But... Why?" Nagatoro smiled.

"You've helped me so much, I just thought I could return the favour." James took a deep breath to calm himself down. This was the first time she had ever acted in this way, maybe she was leading him into something, good or bad.

"Ok," he turned his body to face hers, "here goes nothing." He grabbed her hands and took one last deep breath.