YLIA x Multiverse Episode 11: Restored Honor

Episode 11: Restored Honor

"You may not want to admit it, you may even try to pretend it never happened!" Hiroko had screamed. "But on the altar of your successful career, you sacrificed something SO PRECIOUS! A treasure that you knew was finite, yet chose to toss it aside!"

Takahiko's mind still replayed the heated conversation he'd had with Hiroko Seto the night before. Despite having been over the phone, the brutal words of his late wife's best friend still stung like the venom from a dozen snakes. He sat in the cafe with a solemn demeanor, picking at his pancakes and lightly sipping his coffee. Despite the generous heaping of whipped cream and maple syrup, his taste buds refused to register the savory, sugary flavor.

Takahiko had wanted to snap back, explain to her the thankless circumstances that had been a large factor in his actions. And yet, as Hiroko had delivered that painful truth to him, the once esteemed businessman could only angrily hang up the phone and weep in his prestigious hotel room. Not that such trivial luxuries mattered to Takahiko anymore.

"How can I possibly go home and face my son like this?" He thought with a pang of guilt. "Is there even a chance he'd accept me?"

Takahiko was well aware the ultra-slim chance of his son being transferred here across the multiverse following his untimely "death" had also happened. So perhaps there was a chance he could make amends with his son.

Even so, the weary executive had much doubt about that happening. For some odd reason, comparing the two scenarios didn't feel the same.

"Having trouble with your meal?" A soft, female voice asked him.

Takahiko looked up in surprise.

"Akari Hagimoto?"

The tall, slender woman with long brown hair and piercing blue eyes smiled at her high school friend, her red lipstick—that matched her red skirt—suddenly looking very inviting to Takahiko's eyes.

"Hello, Takahiko Arima," she greeted, sitting down across from him. "Its been quite a while."

Takahiko chuckled. "Yes, it has. How have things been?"

"Oh, the usual," Akari shrugged. "Being a designer for a big-name brand of ladies shoes has it's perks, though my manager could stand to lighten up quite a bit."

"Ah. I'm guessing her strictness must keep you on your toes all day. Oh wait."

Akari rolled her eyes. "Still with the witty jests I see."

"Not that much has changed since graduation, Akari." Takahiko replied.

"I can see that," Akari said in a soothing tone. As she gazed at him, Takahiko felt his skin begin to crawl. And that's when he began to think.

It wasn't the fact she'd been in the same place as him at the same time. Coincidences happen. That much Takahiko could excuse.

But the way she'd approached him and the tone with which she currently addressed him?

Something wasn't right.

Takahiko began to recall numerous occasions where Akari had made coy, flirtatious remarks to him, mostly in their junior and senior year of high school. Most times, he had simply just smiled back and disregarded her, as Akari had been dating someone else at that time.

Takahiko did take note of the shiny silver ring on Akari's finger as those memories came back. Seemed she was still with that same man.

Even so, Takahiko was beginning to feel apprehensive about the situation. Yes, he was a widower, so no disgrace should come upon his name from just enjoying some coffee with an old friend.