YLIA x Multiverse Episode 20: Manhattan School of Music!

Episode 20: Manhattan School of Music!

"WOO-HOOOO!" Kaori yelped as she and Kousei stepped off the plane and into the terminal. "Watch out, New York! The multiversal musicians are here!"

"Kaori!" Kousei hissed, his face flushing red with embarrassment as he saw some of the cranky head-turns. "I'm trying not to make a fool of myself before freshman year has even started!"

"Ugh, fine," Kaori chuckled. "But lighten up a little bit, would ya? We're here in New York after all! The Big Apple itself!"

"Yes indeed!" Takahiko said in a cheery tone as he and Kaori's parents walked behind the two musicians. "I've had many business summits here in Manhattan! Hopefully the restaurants on that brochure my friend sent are still around."

"I must say I envy you, Takahiko!" Yoshiyuki spoke up. "I haven't traveled outside the country since my time in the Self Defense Force!"

"Hopefully we can come back soon for your recitals!" Ryouko agreed.

Five carry-on bags rolled behind the group as they began to make their way through the miniature metropolis. While Kaori's parents and Kousei's father were dressed in professional business attire, Kousei and Kaori, in contrast, only sported simple jackets, jeans, and tennis shoes. Kaori's jacket featured Snoopy and Woodstock, and Kousei still felt proud of himself every time he remembered the look of surprise she'd gotten on her face upon opening the birthday gift. His jacket, meanwhile, was just a dark blue rain jacket with several pockets on the inside. But the simplicity of the jacket made Kousei like it all the more, for he'd never been the type to want overly flashy clothing.

The three parents and their two young adult children had to take extra care to stay together as they moved through the crowd. For at 9am every Tuesday afternoon, the JFK International Airport was a hustling, bustling mass of people scurrying to make their flights and meet up with their rides! Kousei couldn't believe his eyes as he gawked at the massive structure. They were only in Terminal 12 of the airport, yes, but this terminal alone was a city in it of itself! The ceiling was around the same height as Towa Hall back home, and the entire right side of the terminal was taken up by large windows, and endless rows of chairs lined the gray carpeted floor that millions of shoes must've traversed over the years. On the left side, meanwhile, sat many gift shops, displays, restaurants, and more! Kousei caught a whiff from one particular eatery where a baker was pulling out a freshly made New York-style pizza, and the pianist's mouth watered at the delectable aroma.

Sadly, it would be quite some time before he'd get his first taste of the famous entrée.

The line at Immigration and Customs was quite long, so Kousei and Kaori took the time to Facetime their friends back home.

"Glad you guys landed safely!" Tsubaki grinned on Kaori's screen. "How was the flight?"

"Horrible!" Kaori grumbled. "Just imagine being trapped in a dark, smelly tube for ten hours! And the seats, ugh! I couldn't even stretch my legs out!"

"We did get to watch some movies though," Kousei chimed in, wanting to highlight some more positive aspects of the pilgrimage. "I was surprised when I saw Prince Of Egypt on the selection!"

"No way!" Watari exclaimed. "That's awesome!"

"So, how does it feel getting to study in America?" Takeshi's voice spoke up on Kousei's phone.

"I'm still having a hard time believing it!" Kousei replied. "I'll be sure to write to you guys soon!"

Unlike Watari and Tsubaki, who were talking to Kaori from a restaurant in Nerima Ward, Takeshi and Emi were in a group video call with Kousei from their dorm rooms in the Kunitachi College of Music. In just three days, their first week of classes would start. As such, all six friends couldn't help but feel a mixture of excitement and apprehension.