YLIA x Multiverse Episode 27: Melody of a Family

Episode 27: Melody of A Family

"Daddyyyyyy!" a high-pitched, six-year-old female voice roused Kousei from his slumber. At first, the thirty-two-year-old pianist just rolled over underneath the thick white blankets, grumbling under his breath.

Then he remembered what always came next.

"No no no, wait—!" he cried, raising his arms to shield himself.

But he was too late, as Kaoto's small yet mighty form came crashing down upon the soft cushions of the blankets, shattering any last remaining comfort the bedding brought him and exuding an "Umph!" from Kousei's mouth. Her brother Gaku followed close behind, leaping onto Kousei's legs and pinning him down.

There was no escape.

Kousei was going to be showered with love first thing in the morning, whether he liked it or not.

"Good morning daddy!" Kaoto's beaming face said as she crawled across his torso to get to her target. "It's time for breakfast! Mommy said you and her are making something special today!"

Unlike her dark-haired brother, Kaoto had inherited her mother's bright blonde hair, and had her father's blue eyes. Gaku, meanwhile, had a more dark-indigo color in his eyes, similar to those of his mother. Both siblings took after their mother in terms of personality as well, though Gaku tended to be a bit more on the reserved side when it came to things like school functions.

Kousei tried to protect his face from the grubby, sticky fingers that pinched and pulled at his cheeks, but his efforts came to naught as his daughter smothered him with her overbearing love.

"I love YOU! I love YOU!" Kaoto chanted as she clawed and teared at her father's hair the way any lovable gremlin would. 

"Okay, okay!" Kousei laughed as he sat up and kissed his daughter on the forehead. "Just give daddy some time to change alright?"

"No fair!" Gaku interjected. "You always hurry us out of bed every morning when we need to go to school!"

"Excuse you, little man!" Kousei scolded in a gentle but firm manner. "Perhaps if you woke up on time, we wouldn't need to hurry so much."

"What's the big deal about school anyway?" Gaku pouted as he sank to the floor at the foot of the bed. "It's just a bunch of boring rules and work."

"Are you arguing with your father, little one?" another voice sounded. Both children's eyes turned towards the entrance of the master bedroom as Kaori poked her head through the doorway.

"No mom," the eight-year-old boy replied, his head hanging ever so slightly.

"Gaku, Kaoto, please come help set the table and let your father get ready, okay?" Kaori spoke in a patient tone.

"Okay mommy!" Kaoto said, giving her dad one last big smooch on the cheek before dashing off to the kitchen. Gaku ran after her, though with a somewhat lower level of enthusiasm.

"Did you have to leave the door unlocked?" Kousei groaned as Kaori walked over to the bed.

"Do you have to be so grumpy on a bright sunny Saturday like this?" Kaori replied, smiling at her husband as she sat on the edge of the bed.

"I had one hour left before my alarm went off, Kaori. One. Hour."

"And our children just couldn't wait another second to show how much they love you," Kaori chuckled, running her fingers through Kousei's frizzy bedhead.