The Hornet's Nest

The door opened slowly, and Percy poked his head out. "Alright, the coast is clear." He said, before carefully taking a step out into the hallway. Artemis followed closely behind, wielding a rifle not unlike the one she had previously owned. Percy had both his regular revolver plus another pistol he had found on the table back in the room.

The entire palace was quiet, giving off an eerie feeling. "So, uh, where do you think he is?" Percy asked, and Artemis looked down all three hallways. She thought for a moment, fiddling with the safety on her gun. "He won't be outside, too much space for him to be jumped. He wouldn't be hiding in a room, either. No, Ares would either be hunting us down or..." She trailed off, lost in thought.

Percy glanced at her from the corner of his eye and her face hardened. "He'd be waiting for us. I think he's in the throne room." She said. Percy nodded. "Well then, I guess we should head there." He suggested. Artemis agreed, and they headed off in the direction of the throne room.

When they arrived, the two put their hands on the doors of the throne room. It was close to midnight, they didn't have long. Percy looked at her. "You ready?" He asked, and Artemis hesitated. She took a deep breath, and stared at the golden door. For Apollo. She remembered, then nodded. Her boyfriend turned back to the door. "Let's go."

They burst open the doors and pulled their weapons up, aiming all around the room. As they checked more and more Percy's heart rate quickened. If they hadn't spotted him immediately, it meant there was only more time for the god of war to shoot them before they could even see him.

As they looked around more and more, his fears began to dissipate, instead being replaced by confusion. After scanning the entire room, Percy lowered his gun. "He's not here." He frowned, and Artemis lowered her weapon too. "I can tell." She mumbled.

The two gods entered the room, back to back scanning the throne room for any threats. After they made sure the coast was clear they parted, and Percy put his safety on.

There was a broken chandelier in the middle of the room, as well as the thick cord it was hanging from just still in the air, and the corpses of all Ares' children still remained. As he inspected closer, Percy saw the lifeless eyes of Annabeth staring up at him from one of the many corpses. With that sight, he felt himself shatter slightly inside.

Artemis sighed, and kicked the chandelier slightly. "Well, it's nearing midnight. I don't know where the fuck he is, so I guess we're not gonna catch him." She admitted in defeat.

Percy shook his head. "No, he's coming. We just have to be ready for when he does." He told her. Artemis turned to him, arms crossed over her chest, and she was about to say something to him.

Before a word could exit her mouth, however, the door busted open. Time seemed to slow down as both their heads shot to the side to see what it was.