Chapter Fourteen

TRISTAN

I am caught off guard by her question. Is she being serious or is she unconsciously talking?

"What did you just say?" I ask her, even though I heard her pretty clear. "I just want to help you find your family," she repeats, her voice more silent and with less confidence. "And why would I agree to that?" I ask her. "Are you saying that you don't want to?" she asks me, coming closer to me.

I don't know why, but I don't want to browbeat her by refusing her offer but at the same time, this isn't any of her business. I don't think I need her help to possibly... Maybe find them.

"I don't need your help Aly-"

"I knew you would say that but please just accept my help. You have to stop shutting you out from everyone into the world like that."

"Please tell me that you are not bringing that up..." Great. She's back with her stories of socializing with people... Where does she think we are? The friendship committee? Why do I even compare it to that. She's not even my friend...

"Yes, I am. Why don't you want to? It is only in your benefit," she tells me. And there she is again. This girl can't let go of anything and it's really getting on my nerves.

I loudly gasp, trying to avoid this conversation. "Don't you think your guests are wondering where you are?" I ask her, guessing that she probably ran away from her so expensive birthday party because of... Her discovery.

She doesn't seem surprised because she simply resumes talking. "Stop, that's the last thing that might interest you," she notes, raising an eyebrow proving to me that she was not fooled.

"True," I mumble. She knew it anyway.

But it's true that I still don't know why I refuse her offer. Maybe I don't want her to be more involved into my private life. I already see her on every corner of every street, which is awfully weird... And at the end of the day, it's really disruptive.

"Tristan," she sighs. "I know I'm probably your least favorite person, but please..."

"Indeed, I hardly know you... How do you expect me to trust you with something as important as this? And that is only if I really want to find... My parents," I tell her. Man, it's hard to say that word aloud.

"I know, but I can promise you that you can trust me. I saw the look in your eyes ... When you told me the truth. I saw the pain and sadness and even if you do not want to admit it... I know it hurts you incredibly much."

I don't know if I can trust her. She thinks that she knows the whole truth. That she knows the whole story, but I only told her what happened briefly. She doesn't know about the other stuff... The other things that happened to me and mostly the things I've done that I am not proud of.

And if she finds out... I will be only a bigger disappointment to her.

Well, not that I truly care.

"Let me help you," she whispers. "We can try and if you no longer want to, we'll stop everything and I'll leave you alone. All I want is one chance."

I deeply sigh and think about it for a moment. If I let her help me, I have to be prepared for the worst. She is going to be around me, every second that she can be. Am I prepared for that? I think not. But on the bright side... Maybe she could help me find something. I doubt it'll be much, but for once, maybe I should be a little positive.

But that will be the only ounce of positive I will give for a while...

"Well, maybe-" Before I can even finish my sentence she is already squealing from joy. "Thank you," she smiles and I slightly chuckle. "Yeah, whatever," I mumble.