Chapter Three

I slightly groan, turning my head from the door and just walk away, heading to my place. My hands are balled in fists along my sides, but I manage to unclench them, calming my temper. I'm not going to let some stupid, spoiled brat get to me. She's ungrateful? Well, fine. The next time I see her getting raped, I hope for her that anyone except from me is going to be there. Because she isn't going to get help from me, ever again. "Tristan!" I hear Harper's voice call me and turn around. "What the hell? Why are you leaving?" She is now standing near me and I sigh. "I just wanted to get away," I tell her. "I have nothing to into that stupid bar."

"Did something happen?" she asks me. "No," I lie, wanting to get out of this. I really don't want to talk right now. I never really want to talk. She looks at me in disbelief, but then just slightly shakes her head, leaving out a small sigh. "Whatever. Just go," she says, no emotion in her voice. She turns around and goes back to the building where I just got away from. I know that she wanted me to stay. Just for the simple reason that she thinks of us as friends and doesn't want me to be alone. I know that I've disappointed her, but right now, all I want to do is be away from people. I arrive at the apartment building and go straight inside, taking the lift towards my floor. I open the door of my apartment door and immediately lock it behind me. I remove my shoes and let them near the front door. I go towards the living room and plop down on the couch, before turning on the television. I zap through the channels and find a movie to watch. Hopefully something will get my mind off what happened tonight. Because I sure as hell don't want to think about it.

I open my eyes and find myself on the couch, with my clothes still on. I take my phone from the coffee table and groan as I see it's only near 4 am. I probably just dozed off here, when I arrived. The TV is still on and I quickly turn it off. I scratch the back of my head, before getting up. I decide to go back to sleep, this time in my bedroom. It's Saturday anyway and I could use a lot more sleep than that. I remove my jeans and t-shirt, staying in only my boxers. I get into my bed and let sleep catch up to me. A hard knock on my door wakes me, only what seems like a few minutes later and I immediately get out of bed. I go towards the door and open it.

"What?" I groan, pissed off at the person who just woke me up. "Tristan, I need your help," the person says and I recognize Harper's voice. Her voice is not as usual, there's panic in it. "What is it?" I ask her, squinting my eyes, trying to see her face in the dark. "Connor, I can't find him," she tells me. "He will come back, he always does," I tell her, my voice soft, trying to reassure her. "Yes, but he's probably drunk. What if he just went the wrong way this time? He could be wandering on the streets right now, that's dangerous," she says to me and I sigh, going through my hair with my hands. She seems to be really worried. It's true, normally Connor always comes back, even if he's in a drunk state. Maybe something really did happen. "How late is it?" I ask her. "Uhm, five," she says. "Okay, give me a second," I say to her and can see her nod. I quickly get inside my room, putting some clothes on and then I leave my apartment with Harper.

"Has this never happened before?" I ask her, burying my hands in the pockets of my hoodie, to protect them from the fresh morning air. "Only once," she replies. "And where did you find him, then?" I ask her, trying to find any clues of where he might or might not be. "Uhm, close to the small park around the block," she tells me. "Well, maybe he went to that same place," I say. "Yeah, maybe," she says, a glimpse of hope in her voice.

We walk towards the park she told me about and start to look around. We look behind every corner, but we can't find any sign of him. "Gosh, where could he be," she says, her voice cracking a little. Harper isn't the kind of girl who easily cries, she's a tough one. But I've noticed that when it comes to Conner, she really shows off her emotional side. Connor is simply Harper's weak spot. I've often wondered if I would ever find someone who's what Connor is to Harper, but when I rethink about it, I wouldn't want it. Like I said, having someone you love is simply a weak spot, a part of you that will break you someday. And I absolutely don't want that. I'm better off without weaknesses.