Chapter Eighteen

ALYSSA

While we eat our evening meal quietly, I notice that my parents keep staring at me. I try to focus on my plate that's almost empty, but their looks are practically inevitable

"Alyssa," my father begins. I drop my fork and look at him. "Your mother and I have noticed that you come back home later than usual, this last two days. Do you mind to fill us in on what you were doing?"

Oh... Honestly I really hoped they wouldn't notice. I try to find a quick excuse to get out of this.

"Cheerleading practice," is my simple answer. Yeah, it's a good excuse, right? "Your training sessions are on Tuesday at 2pm and Friday at 4pm, Alyssa. Don't try to fool us," my mother says, crossing her arms.

Right... What the hell am I going to tell them now? That I hang out with a guy who is two years older than me and that we decided to meet at his apartment, which we shouldn't forget, is located in the neighborhood with one of the worst reputation in whole Portland? No, that's not an option, at all...

"You're right, Mom. I wasn't at practice. I was... with a friend." Hopefully they are not going to ask me too many questions. Especially the 'who' question.

My father chuckles slightly. "You know, if you decided to get back with Roy, you can tell us." I want to reply negatively, but I feel that this is a godsend rescue to get me out of this conversation.

I simply hum in response. "You make a beautiful couple, the two of you," I know where he is going and I hopelessly stare at my mother, wanting her to save me from one of his 'your marriage will be perfect' speech and blah blah blah...

"Nolan, please. Can we just enjoy our dinner, without talking about this?" she asks him, almost begging. "This is not really a subject to avoid, Michelle," his answer is rather authoritative. "Yes, I know, but please just not now," my mother replies to him, but her tone stays calm and in control.

The moment my father wants to reply, Christina enters the room saying that she's going to bring Carter to bed. I had totally forgotten that my little brother was sitting among us. He is so quiet sometimes that it worries me. He is forced to undergo all our stupid fights and we do absolutely nothing to make his life easier... He's just a seven year old boy and he has to live with so much pressure. I guess adults are really selfish.

"Yes, thank you Christina," my mother says to our maid. My brother goes to my mother and she gives him a big kiss on his cheek. "Good night, sweetheart." My brother replies with a good night before leaving the dining room with Christina.

"You can't change anything about this situation," my father continues. I feel like I'm going to explode. If this continues, I may start going mad. "Did you really think this through? Or are you just content by selling our daughter!" my mother raises her voice as she abruptly gets up from the table.

"I am not selling her," the voice of my father is completely under control... Well, for now. "She knows Roy very well. They have known each other since they were in diapers, dammit! I didn't put her in the hands of an unknown man, I put her in the hands of her best friend! I know you see me as the villain here, but I am trying to take care of my daughter's future! " He finally gets up from the table and stands in front of me and my mother.

"I don't need your help to take care of my future and you know that very well!" I finally start to say what I really think.

"I am not saying that you're not capable of anything," he sighs. "Then what are you implying? Because honestly Nolan, I don't think she needs our money to move forward in her life." My mother literally just stole the words out of my mouth. She's right about that, but honestly, I think this arrangement is purely made out of selfishness.