Chapter Twenty-Three: The Allens

ZACHARY

"What was that all about," Jenna's voice finally asks after a large moment of silence. "It's nothing Jenna, just don't worry about it," I mumble to her, before pursing my lips together. She tilts her head a little and looks right at me. She always does that when she knows something's up with me, or when I lie to her. In this case, it's both. "What? Don't give me that look please," I slightly groan. She sighs before coming towards me and standing behind the chair I'm sitting in. She slowly places her hands on my shoulders and I sigh again. 

"You can tell me honey," she whispers to me and I get up from my seat. "I have nothing to tell." I leave my office and go upstairs.

I am not going to talk about this. Not now, not ever. I promised myself that I would burry it and never bring it back up. I have already fought the guilt for so long and now is not the time to let it consume me. 

LOLA

I abrupt knock on the door of my brother's room, but he doesn't answer. Ugh.  I just open the door and he doesn't even seem to notice I entered. He's on his computer with his headphones on and the music through them is so loud that I can clearly hear the lyrics of the awful song he's listening to. 

"Cameron!" I call for him, but he still doesn't hear me. I walk towards him and tear his headphones of hiss ears. "What!" he groans when he finally notices me. "Finally, we need to talk," I say to him, sitting on the ground. "What's up?" he asks, sitting on the ground, right across from me. "Guess," I smirk and he rolls his eyes. "Lola, I am not able to read your mind. It's not because we're twins that we have some kind of weird connection," he says. "I know we have," I state, crossing my arms. "No, we don't," he chuckles. "Okay, so how do you explain the time that I broke my arm and you told mom that you felt something was wrong with me?"

"To the point please, I have other things to do than to argue with you about this." He's right, I didn't come here for this. "I overheard a conversation of dad and Tristan," I start. "Wait, who's Tristan?" his question doesn't surprise me although I already told him the story of how I met him. "That guy, school, basketball game," summarizing it will hopefully refresh his mind without me having to tell the whole story one more time.

"Oh yeah, right," he mumbles. "Well, so he came here a few minutes ago  and then I listened to his conversation with dad." 

"And what did they say?" he raises an eyebrow up at me. "Well, I didn't get everything, but there was something about 'giving up a child'... I'm not sure, but it seemed pretty weird. I tried listening to the rest of it, but mom caught me eavesdropping so I lied that I confused dad's office for the bathroom," I tell him. 

"You know she won't believe one single thing of that, right?" I roll my eyes at him. "Yeah, yeah, back to the point. My lame excuses are not of any matter right now."

"So, what are you thinking? That dad gave up a child?" he asks me. "I don't know. It seems unlikely that he would have. But I just... Sometimes I have the feeling that dad is hiding things from us... Like he never wants to talk about the past or something," I try to explain to him. "Maybe it has something to do with that."

"I don't think there is a possibility. Dad is... He's the best father ever  and I don't think he would've done something like that," he defends our father. "I know and I'm not saying that he isn't... Everyone has a past Cameron and everyone has secrets. And not all of them came into the light, even for the people closest to you." 

"Well, I think it's stupid. I'm sure all of this was just a misunderstanding," he mumbles, before taking place in front of his computer again. "Are you serious?" I ask, putting my hands in the air, but he doesn't reply. "Ugh, fine! I'll look into this myself!" I leave his room and make sure to slam the door hard enough for him to hear through his headphones.