Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Amanda's POV

All I could hear was faint yelling, just before I felt myself being thrown into a car and the door slamming shut loudly. More yelling. Now there was moaning and groaning, lots of it. I could hear someone moving around on the roof, but it didn't occur to me to wake up. There was a loud bang, which I then recognized to be a gun. All this time, something inside me kept telling me I needed to wake up, but I just felt so comfy and rested with my eyes closed. I heard a thud that sounded remotely close to me, pushing me even further to wake up. Even more shouting, and this time I thought I recognized it...

My eyes flew open and I shot up.

Alex.

I struggled with my seat belt, finally getting it off after what seemed like hours. I was about to open the door when I heard a shriek and a thud. I looked behind me and saw a little girl curled up in a ball in the back seat, frightfully staring at the window while inching away from it. I slowly turned and looked out the window, only to see probably a thousand Rotters coming straight for the car.

One was already here at the window, and that was the thud I had heard. It was trying to get to the little girl.

It was banging on the window, and I could see the glass start to give way and crack. I knew I had to do something, so I threw open and my door and tackled the Rotter to the ground in one fluid movement. I then shot upward, and before the Rotter could do anything, I began stomping on its head. Hard. Like six times. I could hear the cracking of its skull, but I didn't stop.

That was my mistake, because next thing I knew, I was completely surrounded by Rotters grabbing at me. I looked on top of the car only to see my brother get tackled by a Rotter and lay still.

I knew I only had a few seconds before I was going down, so, like any sane person would, I took that time to realize if I didn't do something, not only would my brother die, but that poor innocent girl in the back seat of the car would. Oh, and not to mention me too. Yep, a lot of deaths. Bad. Unfortunately, it also took me only a few seconds to realize there was literally absolutely nothing I could do to take out a hoard of a thousand Rotters by myself.

I narrowed it down to two options. Run, and escape by yourself and let the girl and Alex die, or stay here and let everyone die including yourself. Well, it wasn't an amazingly hard choice, so I just ran. I shoved my way through the Rotters, tears blinding my sight. I just ran.

However, I had only gotten a few hundred feet before an explosion rocked the ground and I was thrown to the pavement. I pushed myself up only to be thrown to the ground again by another explosion. I lifted my head to see what was causing the explosions and gasped. There was fire and smoke all around Alex's car, although the actual car hadn't exploded. A small object flew through the air and landed in the middle of a pack of Rotters, and then blew up a few seconds later. And then it hit me. Someone was throwing grenades, wiping out the Rotters around the car.

I stood and tried to keep my footing as more and more grenades exploded and less and less Rotters appeared to be going towards the car. After a few minutes of my ears just about dying from all of the loud noise, I heard a shout and then the rapid fire shooting of guns. Apparently the mysterious people felt like they had thinned the hoard enough and had begun shooting the remaining Rotters rather than waste grenades.