Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Alex's POV:

We all woke up close to eleven, because we were all super tired. It was such a good feeling to be rested, I didn't even care we slept that long. Now we had to decide which route to take to Los Angeles. We had so far only gotten to the border of New Hampshire. So we could go two ways; Go straight through New York and save a few days, but have to get through the mass destruction there, or go around it and go down into Massachusetts and go around New York but add a few days to our trip.

After a few hours arguing, we finally decided to go through New York because we couldn't afford to waste a few days. We also decided, however, that we would just stay in the cottage today because it was pouring outside and we didn't want to drive in weather like that. So, we all sat down in a circle and talked about ourselves a bit.

We let Ryan talk first.

"I'm fourteen, I like cars a lot, and I used to play basketball." He began. "I lived on their street," He said, nodding towards me and Amanda "And I never knew him until this whole thing started. He came over to my house looking for stuff I guess, and I told him I had seen that they were evacuating people in Las Vegas. Then we started off and met you two."

I nodded, confirming what he had said. Megan went next.

"Well, I heard their car and followed them a bit, and all of a sudden they stopped and Alex got out. I thought they had seen me so I hid, but when I was crouching, I lost my balance and he heard me. Apparently, they didn't notice I was following them because he whipped around with a pistol aimed at my face." Everyone laughed but me.

"Come on, I heard something and it was...uh...startling." I stuttered.

"Yeah okay wimp." Megan choked out between laughs. Eventually everyone settled down and Megan continued.

 "Yeah so after a minute, they stepped out of the car ready to shoot too," Megan gestured at us, smiling "and after a lot of talking, they finally decided not to kill me, and just then a zombie was about to attack Alex from behind. So I reached in my pocket and pulled out my pistol and shot it right between the eyes, but it scared the heck out of them because they thought I shot at him." She said, mostly only telling her story to Brendan because we already knew it. "Amanda flipped and just about attacked ME, but Alex calmed her down, and they invited me to come with them, so I accepted. It's not easy out there in the woods." She said, with a far away look in her eyes. "Anyway, it's your turn Brendan." Megan said, shaking the look out of her eyes.

"Well...umm...Jack and I...we were...coming there to get my dad. He worked there and..." Amanda stopped him.

"Brendan it's okay. You don't have to tell us." He nodded and looked down. It stayed quiet for a while before Ryan finally asked how old he was.

"Thirteen." Brendan mumbled.

"Megan, you never said how old you were." Ryan said pointing at her. "Or Alex or Amanda."