Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Amanda's POV:

     We stopped at daybreak and pulled over to sleep a little. We made sure to lock our doors as we reclines as far back as they could go to try and get some shut eye. We slept peacefully for hours until we heard a crackling and Alex's voice. "Alright guys, let's get going." I sat up and put the key in the ignition and looked at the clock on the car without actually turning it on. I picked up my walkie-talkie and spoke back to Alex.

    "We stopped at like five a.m. and now you want us up at eleven?" I said, my voice still groggy from sleep. "We have to get moving." Alex replied. "I agree with Alex." Megan butted in. "Hmmm...what? What's going on?" Ryan said through his walkie-talkie. "Everybody start up. We're going to hit the road." I started up my car. I looked out the window as I started to push down on the gas pedal and I immediately stopped. Right in front of us was New York. It was too dark to see last night, but we could see it clearly. "Guys..." Alex said, noticing at the same time I did. "Wow." I said. That was the only word that came to mind.

   Smoke rose from the city, and you couldn't pinpoint it, it was just like the smoke was coming off of everything. The Empire State building was actually on fire, but it was dying out. Most of the building was already blackened and charred with ash. There were car alarms that could be heard from where we were, and there really weren't any other sounds other than that. We stared with horror at the wreckage of New York City. It was like out of a  movie. Some buildings had even collapsed, don't ask me how. "Alright, you guys ready?" Megan said, determination in her voice. "Are you crazy?!" Ryan shouted back at her. "I wouldn't go through that city for a million dollars!"

   "Shh, Brendan is still asleep." Alex said. "We have to." Said Megan. "Amanda, don't you agree she's crazy?!" Ryan whisper-shouted. "I don't know...I replied. I really didn't want to go through that carnage, but then again it was the quickest way. "I think Megan is right." Alex said quietly. "You guys are crazy!" Ryan exclaimed quietly. "Going through there is like asking to die!" "If you want to stay behind, be my guest." Alex said "But we are going on." Ryan cut off and I was sure he was swearing to himself.

   "Let's go." Ryan finally grumbled. "Alright, I'll go first, Amanda behind me, then Megan and Ryan." Before Alex even finished Ryan said "Oh hell no! I'm not last. I'm in front of Megan!" "Whatever, wimp." Megan muttered. So, with that, we set off towards New York City. We drove slowly as to not attract any Rotters. We reached the outskirts and Alex told us to stay close to each other. We drove only 15 miles an hour as we entered the city.

   The first thing I noticed was that there were Rotters everywhere. The next thing was that there was debris and dead people everywhere. It was straight from a movie. The Rotters saw us and went for the cars. "Lock your doors!" Alex yelled into the walkie-talkie. We all followed his directions and clicked the lock buttons on our doors. Alex sped up to about 25 mph and we all followed. The zombies came after us, some reaching the cars and pounding on the windows. I felt like we weren't going fast enough, but if we went any faster we would hit the broken cars and debris in the road. At one point we came to a roadblock of cars. We hit the brakes and looked around frantically. There were Rotters coming at us from all directions.

     "We don't have enough ammo to take these guys out!" Alex yelled. All of a sudden, just before the Rotters reached us, they started falling. We heard gunshots from all around and we ducked down in our cars. The shots finally let up after about 10 minutes. I slowly peeked out of the car, and a bullet whizzed by me. I cried out and ducked back down. "She isn't one of them you idiot!" I heard someone yell. "Sorry! They all look the same!" Someone yelled back. I heard a grunt and someone falling to the ground. "That'll teach him." The first voice said. I peeked out again and saw someone lying on the ground and a man standing over him. They were both wearing military outfits, and the first one turned to look at me. "Alright, come out of there, missy."