Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Alex's POV:

  I woke up to Captain Grant yelling "Alright, everyone get off your fat asses, we have an emergency!" I rubbed my eyes and sat up. I looked over at the rest of the group, and they were doing the same. "You!" I heard him yell. I turned around to see Captain Grant storming toward me. He got up in my face and growled "You morons brought a whole herd of those damn zombies over here." His breath smelled terrible, and it took all I had not to throw up on Captain Grant's face. Even though he completely deserved it, it probably wouldn't end well for me.

  He stood up and I thought he was done, but he reached down and punched me right in the nose, hard. I felt a sharp crack and saw stars. I heard Ryan and Amanda gasp. The last thing I saw was Captain Grant's surprised face, and I didn't have any time to wonder why it was that way.

  I woke up again, and this time with my head pounding. I looked around and saw Ryan and Amanda talking quietly in the corner. Amanda saw me and got up to come over to me.

  She bent down. "Are you okay?" She asked, worried. "Yeah, but my nose and my head hurts a lot." It felt like my nose was on fire and my head was spinning. "Well yeah, I would think so. He really nailed you." Ryan said. I remembered Captain Grant punching me, and I also remembered his surprised face. I just then realized that Megan wasn't here.

  Amanda saw that I was looking for her, and answered my unasked question. "She got really mad and jumped on Captain Grant and tackled him right after you got knocked out. She whaled on his face before Jacob pulled him off and then other soldiers took her away and we have no idea where she is." Amanda said.

  "We need to find her." I said immediately, ignoring the pain in my face. "Woah, I think you need a minute." Ryan said, sharing a glance with Amanda. "Let's just relax a second and figure out a plan." Ryan said, trying to calm me down. "How can we settle down?" I asked, getting worked up. "We need to find her! And Brendan! And get out of this shithole!" I started pacing while I was rambling. I saw Amanda wince out of the corner of my eye at my swearing.

  "Alex-" Ryan started, but I interrupted him. "No, you need to settle down!" I faced him, shouting in his face. I stared him down and yelled at him some more. "We are losing our group, and we can't live like this!" I said, clenching my fists. "This already sucks, at least before we actually had others! Now it's just us again!" I flat out screamed. "And you!" I whipped around to face Amanda "I can freaking live! I don't need you worrying over me like I am a sick child! It's really pissing me off!" I screamed, my rage suddenly extinguishing. I felt really tired, and I collapsed on the floor, running my hands through my hair.

  I saw Ryan sharing shaken looks with Amanda, and she walked over to me and hugged me. "I'm sorry." She said. "I didn't mean to make you mad. I'm just-" "I know." I didn't let her finish her apology. "Worried about me. You don't need to apologize. I'm sorry I exploded on both of you. I had no good reason. I'm just really stressed right now."

I said, looking into Amanda and Ryan's eyes.

  "Hey, it happens man." Ryan said. "I think we all need to freak out at some point to keep us sane. We got to let it out." Amanda agreed. "That being said..." She trailed off, pulling a pistol out from under her shirt. I gaped at her, and it was clear Ryan didn't know she had that either by the look on his face. "I'll just wait for someone to come feed us, kill him, and take his keys. They have to feed us at some point." Amanda reasoned. Ryan and I didn't answer, we just stared at her.