Chapter 10

"So where exactly are we going?" I questioned as Ashley drove the car in an unknown direction. We'd been driving for nearly three hours already.

"You'll see."

The kids were occupied in the backseat watching Thomas the Train on my laptop.

"Your birthday is in two days." I announced.

"Yeah, it is."

"Are you excited?"

"Yeah."

My eyes landed on her face. She was so effortlessly beautiful. The way her jawline flowed into her neck; her Perfect neck. I wanted to kiss and suck every inch of it.

"You're staring."

I quickly turned my attention forward and felt my face grow hot.

"And now you're blushing."

"Fuck off."

"Shh, the kids are in the back."

"They have headphones on, who cares?"

She laughed, "True."

"It's my turn to ask a question."

She glanced at me, "What do you mean?"

"That game we played, when we took turns asking each other questions."

"Oh right, I remember."

"Yeah, It's my turn to ask you something."

She smiled, "Ask away."

"How many drinks would it take for you to fuck me?"

"None."

I wasn't expecting such a straightforward answer. Then, Ashley decided to be even bolder and asked, "Do you want me to fuck you?"

Yes, I want to moan your name in ecstasy while your tongue- I had to stop myself from thinking.

"I have a husband."

She nodded, "Right."

It was my turn to ask a question, "Can I hold your hand?" I felt the need to add, "As your friend?"

She smiled and put her right hand out over the console with her palm facing up. I took the opportunity to interlace my fingers with hers.

"Why don't you ever talk about your dad?"

I hesitated to answer, but eventually did, "Because I don't want you to see me cry."

She glanced at me and held my hand tighter, "You don't have to put up a strong front for me."

"I know."

"When was the last time you talked about him to someone?"

I swallowed hard, "I haven't"

"Veronica! That's not healthy." She paused for a moment, "You know I'm here for you, right?"

"Yeah, I know." I squeezed her hand, "Thank you."

The car then came to a stop and Ashley announced that we were here. I looked out the window, we were in a somewhat empty field in the middle of nowhere. There was a small playground and a few trees, but no other people.

"Ash, this looks like something out of a horror movie."

She laughed, "We're going camping."

The kids' attention was suddenly peaked, "We're going camping!?" Abby asked.

"Yeah!" She responded, matching her enthusiasm.

We got out of the car, letting our hands disconnect in the process, to help get Abby and Miles out of their car seats. As soon as they were free, they went running for the playground.