Chapter 34

A/N

Hello everyone, we've arrived at the final chapter. I would like to thank you all for sticking around; I hope you enjoyed reading the story as much as I enjoyed writing it.

There'll be another author's note at the end of the chapter, but until then, enjoy!

I woke up to an empty bed once again. A smile formed on my face as I thought about what the romantic gesture might be this time.

I checked the clock on my nightstand, it was ten o'clock. The kids were most likely downstairs with Ashley.

I got out of bed to throw on a pair of sweatpants and touch up on my hair in the mirror, not wanting to look like a psychopath for my girlfriend.

As I headed down the stairs, I saw Abby and Miles watching TV in the living room. I made my way over, kissing the tops of their heads, "Hey kiddos, how did you sleep?"

"Good." They said in unison, keeping their attention on the TV.

"Have you seen Ashley?"

They shook their heads.

I looked around the kitchen and bathroom, but couldn't find her anywhere. By that point, I assumed she was still out getting bagels.

I sat on the couch for a bit, watching cartoons with Abby and Miles when the doorbell rang. I felt a sudden sense of relief, expecting it to be Ashley. However, I was surprised to be greeted by a woman in scrubs.

She wore a polite smile, "Hi, you must be Ms. Silvers."

My heart sped up, "Yeah, that's me."

She hesitated to speak, "I'm a nurse from the Medanta Hospital downtown." She gestured toward the badge on her chest.

My heart sped faster and faster with each passing second. I was becoming overwhelmingly worried.

She held out a letter with the words "To the love of my life" written on the front.

Between Ashley's absence and the letter, I knew something had happened to her. My palms got sweaty as I took the paper from her hands. I thought the beating of my heart might have been louder than the bass at a concert.

The woman's expression changed to more of a sympathetic one, "Unfortunately, earlier this morning, Ashley West got into a car accident..."

I couldn't hear what she said after that. The sound of my heart beat took over and swallowed me whole. Suddenly, the tsunami was back, crashing harder than the last time. The only words I could here after that were "dead" and "sorry."

I collapsed to the floor. Nothing came out of me, not a single tear, not a single word. There was this feeling in my chest, a physical pain that was slowly spreading throughout my entire body. I tried to scream, but nothing came out.

***

The past four days had been worse than any kind of torture. I had to resist the urge of killing myself.

The day of the news, I called Nick to take the kids for a few weeks—I'm sure he was thrilled to hear the news. I also called into work to let my employees know that I would be taking a sabbatical.

The past four days had consisted of staying away from knives, crying my eyes out, not eating, and laying in my bed all day, pretending my pillow to be Ashley.

I was more in shock than anything. One moment she was kissing me goodnight, and the next, she was gone, forever. I couldn't wrap my head around it.

I'd spent a good hour or two each day screaming and crying on my bedroom floor; shrieking about how badly I wanted to die.