5

reminder: isa's pronouns are still they/them only. "Princess" is their title and one of the only gendered terms they're okay with. comments using other pronouns for them will be deleted immediately.

"...I suppose now is a good time to tell the story and answer some of your questions..."

Once we reached the kitchen, Isa hopped onto a counter and took a deep breath. When I glanced over at them, a shriek left me and I stumbled away from them. Their feet were on fire, a tail resting on their lap, and deep red horns poking out from their curls. Isa's eyes were glowing red as they shifted over to me, a whimper leaving me when their nails looked more akin to claws.

"What the fuck are you?!" I yelped and backed away more, no longer believing what Hunter had said.

"A demigod — same as Hunter."

"Liar! You're a demon!"

Isa flinched at that, their appearance immediately returning to what it once was. "...Believe what you'd like. The truth is, the ladies do torture maids. They also drink their blood and eat their flesh. It's for their survival."

I scoffed and moved further from them, noticing the hurt that flashed in their eyes when I did. "I don't know if I can believe that. Demons lie — why should I trust you?"

"...I'll tell Hunter to inform you of everything — the truth — when she returns. Good day."

Isa left in a hurry — refusing to look at me — and my heart ached at how fast they left. I slowly moved back to the sink and finished washing my dishes. A low, mechanical hum sounded behind me and I whirled around, a sigh of relief leaving me when I saw Hunter. Although she looked upset, the expression faded the moment her eyes landed on me.

"Did they answer your questions?"

"That was a demon," I muttered and noticed the way Hunter's smile dropped to a frown immediately.

"Do not speak of the Princess that way."

"Princess? I thought—."

"It's the one gendered terms they don't mind," Hunter shrugged before a bittersweet smile stretched across her face. "Then again, they've always been called that."

"Why did you get so upset when I called them a demon?"

"They're the princess of the Underworld — kind-hearted and powerful. Calling a member of the royal family a demon is a slap to the face. Calling Isa one is practically a crime."

"O-oh..." I trailed off before clearing my throat. "Why did they look so hurt when I called them one?"

"You called them that to their face?! This won't be good..."

"What won't—?"

Angry buzzing filled my ears before I was whisked away. When everything stopped moving, a sharp pain in my side pulled a scream out of me. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I locked eyes with lady Cassandra. Hatred filled the glare she sent me, her hand wrapping around my throat and making me weakly claw at her hand — finding it harder and harder to take in oxygen.