58

After we returned to the others, I took my seat in Bela's lap once again, leaning into her when her arms wrapped around me. 'She'll be happy when I tell her.'

"Well?" Bela asked nervously as I settled in.

"...It doesn't make it 100%, but my chances are higher."

"So you're still going through with it?"

I clenched my jaw as a thought quickly crossed my mind. 'You're starting to sound like you don't want me to succeed...' After clearing my throat, I spoke again. "I-I don't know... Would you even want me to do it if it was guaranteed to work?"

"What?! Of course, I would! A guarantee that you're like us? That we can live forever as a couple? Why would I ever not want you to take that if it's a complete guarantee?"

"It's just... Sometimes, when you say things... It made me think you didn't want to spend eternity with me. Or maybe that's just my insecurities coming back."

Bela sighed, resting her chin on my head. "I guess we've both fallen back to those somehow. My overprotectiveness... I promise, however, that I do want this to succeed — I'm just worried about the failures. Mother Miranda won't let me watch either, so I'll have to be in our room until it's over. Being alone with my thoughts while you go through that scares me the most. I'd rather be there and acknowledge what's happening than..."

"Rather than play out scenarios in your head," I finished and took her other hand in mine. "But if you were there..."

"I'd try to stop them," She muttered, making me frown at how heartbroken she sounded. "...Just... Just, promise me that you'll come back to me."

"You know I can-"

"I don't care if it's a lie," Bela's voice cracked as her grip tightened. "...Just promise... Please?"

I squeezed Bela's hand before bringing it up to kiss her knuckles. "I promise that I'll come back to you, Bela."

"Thank you," She sighed in relief and kissed my head. "When will it happen?"

"As soon as you want."

"...Ca-can't we wait a week then? I-I know you-."

"It's best if we get it out of the way soon," Mother Miranda reminded us — reminding Bela and me that we weren't alone. "We can do it now-"

"NO," Bela growled and tightened her grip. "...Give us an hour?"

"One hour," Queen Freya nodded before her eyes softened. "I will do my best to make sure she survives. You have my word, Bela."

One Hour Later

POV: Isa

"Ready?" I asked [Y/N] while guiding her to the basement. "I'm not."

"Why are you nervous?!"

"One of my closest friends is about to have a very risky operation," I huffed and sent her a small glare. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"I just... This is rare," [Y/N] muttered with a smile. "I've seen sparks fly off you this entire walk."

"...That is rare. I guess I'm more nervous than I thought."

"I think you and everyone else are plenty nervous for me. I am nervous, but I trust Queen Freya will keep her word."

"My Mother's here as well," I promised her. "If things do go wrong... Well, maybe she can use her powers as a Goddess of rebirth. I-I don't know..."