56

"I love you more, my wife."

Five Days Later

"Auntie! We play?" Costin asked as I finally left mine and Bela's room.

'Days of sex and then a day of rest was... Fun,' I shook the thought away and focused on what Costin had asked. "After breakfast, okay?"

"Okay! You okay?"

"I'm fine, little man," I promised and knelt, kissing his forehead. "Aunt Bela just wanted me for longer than I thought."

Costin giggled but nodded. "Auntie gweedy."

"Only sometimes."

I picked up Costin, waiting for Bela to join us before we walked to the dining hall, listening to his stories of how the days went without me. 'He missed me,' I nearly swooned when the boy mentioned missing our playtime. 'Then again, I'm one of the only beings that doesn't teach him something and just lets him be a kid.' I kissed Costin's cheek before sitting him in his chair, muttering that we'll play Hide-and-Seek later and making him purr. 'Nearly forgot he could do that.'

Once everyone was seated, I leaned into Bela's hold and sipped my orange juice, noticing Isa had apple juice today. 'Apple Juice with breakfast? What's the occasion?' I smiled at Alcina when she looked my way, relaxing when she returned the action. 'Why am I so worried?! She permitted me to marry her eldest daughter, I think it's obvious she doesn't want me dead anymore.' After breakfast, I kissed Bela's cheek and let her get back to work, knowing I'd have to speak to her later about the cadou. 'We've been putting it off for days, but spending time with Costin is more important. That and Alcina won't let me work with the cadou again until Bela's okay with it. I understand why she's scared, but she can at least trust me a bit more.'

"Auntie?"

"Yes, we can play now," I smiled at the boy as he ran up. "Hide-and-seek?"

"No," Costin shook his head before smiling. "Lego!"

'...His grandfather got him a Lego set — go figure.' I nodded and offered him my hand. "Lead the way."

"Mommy's getting me more."

"Really? And listen to you! You're improving."

Costin giggled as he pulled me to his room. "Nana gives me cookies... When I do good."

"Ah, that's why we always have cookies."

"Mama says I have to play a lot... Because of it."

'Heh, Isa wants him to stay active. I can't blame them. There's not much to do in the castle, so it'd be easy for him to get bored and just do whatever he wants.'

"You agwee?"

"I believe you should, but you should also have time to relax."

"Mm. Mommy make sure," Costin nodded as he poured out the legos. "We sit."

I giggled and joined him on the floor. "Would you like it if I could be immortal like Aunt Bela? So you never have to worry about me again?"

"No more hurt?"

'Not entirely, but sure, Kid.' I nodded, watching his smile grow.

"Can you?! So no more hurt! I don't like... When auntie's hurt."

I kissed his head as we got started on the Lego set. "Awe, I don't like when you're hurt either. Speaking of; is your fever gone? I remember Isa saying you used to get sick a lot as a baby."

"I okay! Mama wowwy a lot."

"They have every right to worry, Costin," I reminded him. "You're their baby boy, they'll always worry about you. Now, how about after we put this together, I ask Aunt Bela about me getting the cadou."

"Cadou? Gi-gift?"

"I see Nana's been teaching you some Romanian too," I giggled but nodded. "That's what they call it. It's what makes Nana and your other mamas who they are. Same with Aunt Bela."

"Oh! Otay! Deal!" Costin held his hand out for me to shake, giggling when I took his and shook it.

'Such a sweet little boy.'

By the time we finished the Lego set, we had already had lunch in Costin's room and Hunter was preparing dinner. 'This took longer than I thought,' I smiled and placed the complete set on his vanity. 'But it was worth it. Especially to see that smile.' I picked up Costin and kissed his cheek, giggling at his wide smile.

"Well, let's go tell Mommy and Mama that we completed it! Then, I'll go ask Aunt Bela that question I promised."

"Otay!" Costin nodded as I set him down, taking my hand before leading me out of his room. "'is way."

As I followed the boy, my mind began to play through the reactions Bela would have. It was no secret that she was protective — sometimes a little too much — but the success rate of the cadou was low. 'On the one hand, I know she has every right to be terrified and deny this request, but on the other... On the other, I remain mortal, and we face the fact that I'll eventually leave her...' My heart ached at the thought. 'I have to convince her that this is the correct choice.'

"Bela, can I borrow you for a second?" I asked after ushering Costin into the dining hall. "...We need to discuss something that we've been putting off for a while."

Bela swallowed thickly before swarming us to an isolated room, her legs pacing in front of the door as she sighed. "Do we have to?!"

"Yes, we do. The cadou's already tried to bond with me, maybe it's a sign?"

"Yeah, a sign you should be dead?! Do you know how often this thing kills the host before it takes over completely?!"

"Yes! Who do you think used to help your Mother?! Bela... You know I wouldn't ask this if I didn't know the risks and want to take them. I don't have to accept it now," I started when she tried to look away, cupping her cheeks. "I don't want to accept it now, but I want to know that you'll support me when the time comes."

Bela nodded as tears filled her eyes, a strangled, "Okay, deal," leaving her.

"Thank you, My Love," I muttered before connecting our lips, running my fingers through Bela's hair as she cried. 'I know it's terrifying, but we'll get through this. Together. We have to.'