10

"Sh-shut up," She muttered, a flustered buzzing leaving her.

I chuckled at her sudden shyness, returning to eating soon after we stopped speaking. Once I finished my food and water, I let Bela take them, picking up the book from before once she was out of the room. I thumbed threw the pages while waiting on her to return, slowly becoming more and more invested in the story.

Bela cleared her throat and jolted me out of my trance, my eyes tearing from the words on the page to look up at her. She was covering her mouth with her hand, shoulders trembling slightly as she tried to hold back her laughter. I sent her a sheepish smile and waited for her to go to the other side of the bed, relaxing when she settled in the bed.

"You seem to love that story," Bela commented with a smirk. "You're simply proving that your "into older women" joke might actually be true."

"I told you it's true!" I laughed. "I've always had a thing for older women."

"So does that mean you could have a crush on me?"

"Who says I don't already?"

A squeak mixed with Bela's buzzing before a giggle left her. "You sure do know how to fluster a lady."

"It comes naturally."

"Get some sleep," Bela laughed and gently shoved me onto a pillow. "Before you manage to jumpstart my heart."

I laughed and turned on my side, adjusting my collar so it wasn't too uncomfortable for me. After making sure I was comfortable, Bela shifted a bit closer and rubbed circles on my back until I fell asleep.

A knock at the door woke me and pulled a groan from me, my eyes fluttering open when the arm draped over my waist moved. Bela sat up with a stretch, calling out to whoever was at the door. My eyes fluttered shut when Bela got out of bed and headed to the bathroom, giving me time to fall asleep again.

When I woke again, Bela was entering from the hallway with a plate of food and a glass of orange juice for me. I sat up with a yawn, smiling at Bela when removed my collar.

"Thank you, my lady," I muttered after taking the plate from her. "Next time, can we remove it before bed?"

"Yes," Bela hummed before situating herself behind me, her thumbs pressing into the base of my neck. "It was only for last night anyway. Just enjoy breakfast while I give you a massage."

"You're too kind to me."

"You didn't deserve the pain you went through."

I smiled as I ate, occasionally letting a groan slip past my lips as she continued her massage. Once I finished my food and orange juice, Bela put a new collar on me — one she attached a leash to. Heat rushed to my cheeks when she stood and tugged on the leash, smirking down at me.

"This way you don't have to be locked in the room all day."

'She wants me to let other HUMANS see me like this?!' I swallowed thickly and shook my head. "I-I'd actually like to st-stay in here today. I do have th-that book to finish."

"...Fine. But tomorrow, you're leaving the room," Bela sighed before swapping the collars. "I'll have Isa bring you lunch. I'll bring dinner when I come to bathe."

I nodded and waited for her to leave before grabbing the book, heaving a sigh as I opened it to the page I ended on last time. Once settled on the bed, my eyes trained on the words, and smiled, picking up where I left off.

"Do people always fall in love with things they can't have?'

'Always,' Carol said, smiling, too."

Seven Hours Later

After finishing 'The Price of Salt', I moved on to 'A World Without Men', and nearly cackled at the title. Isa entering the room with lunch was the only thing to pull my attention away from the book. They offered a small smile before handing me the plate.

"Wanna hear a joke?"

I laughed and nodded, motioning toward them. "Hit me with your best one."

"What does Earth say to make fun of the other planets?"

"Oh god."

"You guys have no life."

"Don't continue."

"What kind of books do planets usually like to read?"

"I'll kick your ass."

"Comet books."

"Why are you doing this?!" I laughed, noticing their genuine smile soon after.

"To let you know I wanna start over," They hummed and sat on the edge of the bed. "Now that everything's confirmed to be safe — and that other maid is dead — I have no reason to be suspicious of you. So, I want to start over — I want to try to be friends."

"If I agree, will you stop with the jokes?"

"Only for today."

"...I'll take it."

"Do you want any cookies? Hunter made a batch."

"I'd love some."

I smiled as they left, relaxing against the headboard as I ate my lunch. My mind raced back to Bela earlier — the way she easily slid the new collar on me and tugged it. The way heat pooled in my stomach when realization hit me.

With a soft huff, I shook my head and dispelled the memories, focusing on my food again. Isa returned when I finished eating with a plate of cookies, my eyes landing on them immediately. I happily took the plate and picked up a cookie, humming happily as I ate it. Isa promised to cone visit on their break before they took off again, leaving me to continue reading.

After grabbing the book again, I set the plate on the table next to the bed, making sure to grab a cookie as well. I didn't let anything distract me until the light in the room began fading. With a soft sigh, I marked my page in the book and glanced up at the door when it opened once more, revealing Bela walking in with a cart of food.

"Hey, sorry dinner went late," She hummed and made her way over to me. "Mother got a call she had to take."

"Oh?"

"I'll explain later."