29

Bela laughed as we entered the kitchen again. "Yeah, yeah you are."

Daniela offered me a cookie and grinned, holding it up for me. "You get the first taste!"

"She can feed herself, Dani," Bela hissed.

"Oh don't get jealous of me feeding your pet. I have Hunter, I don't need [Y/N] — er, no offense! If I didn't have Hunter-."

"I'm still here and my mother is the goddess of magic," Hunter grumbled with a small pout. "Don't finish that thought."

"I'm kidding!" Daniela giggled before focusing on me again. "Open wide-."

Bela took the cookie and handed it to me, sending her little sister a glare. "Knock it off."

"You're a bully."

"You're annoying."

"You think I'm annoying?!" Lady Daniela pouted as her eyes began to fill with tears.

I felt Bela tense before she began fumbling over her words. "N-no, of course, I don't! I-I was ju-just-."

"I'm messing with you, Bela. You're so easy to fluster sometimes!"

"Because I don't like seeing my little sister cry."

"WE'RE TRIPLETS!"

"Nice voice crack, Dani."

"UGH!" Lady Daniela turned and grabbed Hunter's wrist. "Let's go, Hunter. Bela's being mean!"

"You started this."

Lady Daniela let out a long hiss before leaving, making Bela laugh. 'I guess this is normal,' I thought with a small smile. 'She's so pretty when she laughs.' I took a bite out of the cookie and smiled wider, letting out a content hum. Once Bela saw that I liked the cookie, she reached for one from a different plate Lady Daniela took mine from.

'Please like it,' I watched as she took a bite from it, my heart breaking slightly when she shrugged and finished the cookie. After I finished my cookie, Bela excused herself, stating that she needed to go back to the basement. I forced a smile when she kissed my cheek, watching her leave. 'It's just some stupid cookies, who cares if she didn't like them?!'

I silently picked up the plate Bela took a cookie from and left, carrying the plate through the halls. 'Should give these to the rest of them,' The small smile returned to my face at the thought. 'Maybe it'll ease tensions — I know they don't trust me fully still, that much is obvious.' I sidestepped out of the way of a maid as she ran through the halls, a terrified scream leaving her. When I looked the way she came, I understood why.

Glowing red eyes tracked the maid out of the darkness, sending a shiver down my spine. 'I don't want to get involved with whatever this is.' Once the sound of a crackling fire reached my ears, I was pulled into a room, allowing me to watch Isa rush by. I glanced over my shoulder at Lady Cassandra before holding up the plate.

"Want a cookie?"

"Not going to ask why Isa was chasing that maid?"

I shrugged, offering her a cookie again. "Cookie?"

"...No," Lady Cassandra muttered and left. "Be careful in the halls."

I glanced down at the cookies and frowned. 'Bela has to do something in the basement, but I hope she doesn't take long...' I made my way through the halls once more, finally reaching Lady Dimitrescu's office. 'Does she even like sweets? Am I wasting my time trying? No. Stop overthinking.'