8

the story picks up next chapter i promise <3

Thunder rumbled in my ears but based on Bela's reaction, she didn't hear it. "I-I—! S-su-sure."

Six Months Later

For the past six months, lady Bela would take one day a week off from her responsibilities and would dress me up in nice clothing and makeup. This week was one of the rare weeks she decided to do it twice — today being the second day this week. It had started out well. That was until a maid tried to escape. I warned her. She didn't listen.

In fact, she offered to take me with her. When I hesitated, she grabbed my arm anyway and began pulling me to the exit. That's how I ended up in the basement. And why Bela seemed extremely angry. Any time she looked at me, hurt and anger swirled in her eyes.

Hunter had also looked at me the same way, but that was when she was muzzling me. Now, she stood off to the side with lady Daniela, watching lady Bela stalk closer to me. I watched Bela lift her blade before squeezing my eyes shut, a pained scream ripping through me when the sharp metal sliced through my skin. This continued for what felt like hours, the torture only stopping when I nearly blacked out.

After everyone else left, lady Bela set her blade down and moved about the cell. When her shuffling finally stopped, there were two soft clicks before more, quieter movement. A hiss left me when I felt something cold dabbing at my wounds — presumably disinfecting them. When my eyes opened and landed on lady Bela, I forced a smile onto my face, hoping it would make the sorrow dissipate. It did not.

"On the plus side... I still get to see you," Bela's tone was somber and I tried my best to push back the guilt that ate away at me. "Isa's not sure how long it will take to fix everything."

"...I just want to be your doll again," I muttered dejectedly, sucking in a sharp breath when she pulled my face toward hers.

"You shouldn't have tried to-."

"I didn't! I swear!"

"Sure," Lady Daniela growled as she returned. "Bela! Let's go! Basil found the one that managed to slip away~!"

The two took off after that, leaving me alone with my thoughts. As my eyes slipped shut, I let my mind drift back to the incident, a frown on my face. Hunter had tried getting people to listen, but she ultimately gave in and sided with the others. The face of that maid returned, pulling a snarl onto my face.

"Come on! I know you don't want to stay here — no one does!"

'For lady Bela...' I sighed and shook my head. "Maybe if you had asked a while ago—."

"Shit! They're coming! We gotta go!"

The maid, despite my resistance, still tried to pull me after her. Fortunately, unfortunately for us, we were far enough from the door that lady Cassandra could separate us. She managed to get me away from the maid. But that also allowed said maid to escape.

When she did, she flung the door open. Cold air rushed in and hit Cassandra, pulling a pained scream from her. I pulled away and managed to shut the door, kneeling next to her and trying to use my body to shield her just in case. Her eyes lifted, a look of confusion flashing in her eyes before the others rushed over.

The next thing I knew, I was in the cellar. That's where she and Hunter tried to vouch for me, but it appears lady Cassandra wasn't the only one injured. Ladies Bela and Daniela had managed to get hurt, only making me feel worse. It had felt like hours before I was met by lady Bela tending to my wounds.

I snapped out of the memory when Isa entered my cell, a sheepish smile on their face. "I have some good news and I have some bad news..."

"Bad news first..."

"Okay... Lady Dimitrescu will be forcing you to stay here until she's certain you're no longer a threat to her or her daughters."

"The good news?"

"No more torture."

"Will lady Bela—?"

"No."

"Then I'll still be tortured," I countered with a frown, recalling the feelings I had developed for the eldest triplet. "Tortured with being able to see her but not being able to have things the way they used to be..."

"Give it time—."

"I'm tired of waiting! ...This is bullshit."

Two Months Later

After two months, my feelings for lady Bela simmered down. It was completely intentional. They knew the full story, yet they kept me chained up like some kind of beast. My eyes lifted from the cold, dirt floor when a familiar black dress waltzed into my view.

Gold eyes locked with [E/C] ones before a low chuckle filled the air, sending a shiver down my spine. The moon was high — based on how quiet the rest of the castle was — and my heart skipped a beat. Lady Bela stopped in front of me, sliding a hand along my jaw and bringing her lips close to mine. Ghosting them. Teasing me.

"Mother says there's a surprise for my sisters and me tomorrow," Bela purred before moving her lips to the shell of my ear. "Do you know what that means for you, my little doll?"

"N-no, m-my lady..."

"It means one of us will get you as a pet."

"M-me?!" I squeaked out, embarrassment coating my face.

"Mhmm," Bela purred and pressed her palm flat against my abdomen. "I get first dibs... I'll get my pet back."

'My pet,' I shuddered as her words echoed in my head, a whine threatening to escape me. 'So the cold act was just that... All an act?'

When lady Bela pulled away and left the basement, I couldn't help the quiet squeal of excitement that left me. Sure, she had to act cold when everyone was awake, but it made me happy to know she still wanted me as her doll.

'Pet. She specified pet... This woman will be the death of me...' I let my eyes shut, a faint smile resting on my face. 'But if she wants me to be her pet... who am I to turn her down? I just wonder how long this act will go on for...'