Chapter 20

a/n~ 18+ content warning-

1870

Elijah's pov

It was dark, and the moon lit up the garden, where I waited for Ashlynn, Anansi, and Bridget. I looked around, making sure nobody was in sight. I felt guilty for leaving Veronica, I promised I wouldn't, and now I was breaking that promise. I hated myself, tomorrow would've been our wedding day, but our father was pulling his little stunt. I have always had such a hatred for him, after and before our mother's death, he treated me and Ashlynn differently, he always ignored Anansi, she was a stray more than a daughter to him.

I saw a lantern coming from the stairs that led into the garden, Ashlynn was holding it. I rose my hand and signaled them over to me. Anansi and Bridget were behind her, Bridget looked over at the pond and walked that way. "Follow me, we have to go deep into the forest if we want nobody to find us," Ashlynn said, then turned around and followed Bridget out of the garden and into the forest. I followed after them, being careful not to trip over anything.

I stopped when the light stopped moving, we were deeper into the forest than before. "This is where I'll open the portal, then when you're all in I'll be right behind you," Bridget said, I looked at her confused. "Wait you're coming in with us?" I asked. "Well doing this would get me killed, so I'm going in after you're on the other side," Bridget replied. She started chanting something in Latin and right before my eyes a blue light appeared, growing into a circle until it was a huge circle. She still had her hands up, as if she was trying to keep the portal open. "Now go quickly, I can't keep it open forever, so move quickly," Bridget said, as she struggled to keep the portal open. 

Ashlynn blew out the fire that was lighting the lantern and placed it down. She stepped into the portal, disappearing, then Anansi walked through and disappeared. I looked at the dark void behind me, I could see the castle from my view, but it was faint, being covered by trees. I debated about going through the portal or staying, if I stayed, I could be king and be happily married to Veronica, not breaking any promises, or I could go through not be happily married to Veronica and this would break my promise to her. I looked back at the portal, still debating. "Please Elijah don't back out of this, go, or you'll be trapped here forever," Bridget said, interrupting my thoughts. 

My heart raced and I jumped through the portal. Everything faded to black for a second, then I found myself laying on the cool grass, I stood up and noticed that me, Anansi, and Ashlynn were in front of the mansion. It appeared abandoned, I mean it hasn't been touched since our mother's death. Now thinking about it hasn't even been a year yet, only a few months since her death. 

I heard rustling behind me, causing me to turn around, it was Bridget, she was laying on the grass. "Are you alright?" I asked. "I'm fine, keeping that portal open took a lot out of me," she replied as she stood up. She walked and stood on the concrete stairs as if she was about to make a speech. We all stared at her, as she took a breath. "We are in the human world, so try not to get yourselves killed. I will help you get settled and train you and teach you all how to survive in this world. After I am done, I will be living my life as a human, away from vampires, so please leave me alone after I leave, but I will give one exception and that is if you all are in need of help or are in danger," She said.

Veronica's pov

I laid in bed, listening to the chattering that was outside my door. You would think I would be happy because it was my wedding day, but the news spreads quickly and soon I had found out that Elijah, Ashlynn, Anansi, and Bridget had disappeared, everyone claimed they all disappeared somewhere we could not reach because Bridget was missing as well and she was a witch. I felt as if my heart was being stabbed, Elijah had promised he wouldn't abandon me, but he did and he took his sisters and the witch with him, I knew this would happen. I sighed as I tried not to cry. I knew what I had to do, the king was locked up in his room and his children were missing, so I had to step up and take the throne, until of course the king is capable of being the king again. I never ruled a kingdom, but I had no choice now, even though I was supposed to be their queen, now I have to be.