12

"Yes Ma," I groaned lightly into my phone "I will do my best to make it home for Christmas..." I moaned as I heard her detest that statement "Ok, I will turn my leave into Richard today, but it's up to him if I get off or not... No Ma, please, no don't call Richard.. Ma you're being-" I heard a click and huffed.

My pager went off at my hip and I ripped it off my waistband to read it, the ER, great.

I hoped it was a big bloody mess; I needed something to rip into so I wouldn't rip into Meredith. I knew she was doing what she thought was best, and she was acting like she always had...

But seriously, barge into my OR and put my on the phone with my mother? Uncalled for.

I got to the ER trauma room I was sent to and lo and behold, who was in there? Meredith. She glanced up at me but her expression was more serious, worried even.

"I need a full work up!" she called out to the nurses as she listened to the female patient's abdomen with her stethoscope "Chem 7 and get her scheduled for an MRI." She sighed as she glanced at me again "Good you're here finally."

"I got here as quick as I could." I scowled "I was on the phone." She rolled her eyes "Does she have a head injury?"

"No." she said "She was broadsided, but he has a head injury." She nodded directly next to the patient and I saw a young man about her age holding her hand with a large piece of his scalp hanging off his head.

"Sir," I frowned as I wondered how he was sitting there wide awake "I need you to come into the next room with me so I can look at your injury."

"No." he shook his head, he was visibly upset "No, I won't leave her, I won't leave my wife."

"I understand you're upset." I pleaded "But your injuries can get worse over time, if we don't act now you could be putting yourself into a grave position."

"Whatever." He cried out "I'm still not leaving her, I promised her for better or worse. I'm not leaving her side." I felt the sting of his words and sideways glanced over at Meredith who looked up from her own patient when he said that "You can look at my injuries right here if you have to."

I turned to Meredith with disbelief washed over my face. She nodded.

"It's fine, MRI is backed up it'll be a few."

"MRI!" the patient gasped as she finally regained consciousness "No, no MRI!"

"Regina!" the husband exclaimed "Oh Gina baby you're awake, thank God! I'm right here."

"Leo?" she looked at him "Oh God what happened?"

"Some dumbass ran a red light an hit us, but don't worry we'll be ok. Everything will be ok. I'm here ok, I'm here."

The female patient looked at Meredith "Did you say MRI, because I can't have one."

"Ma'am." She soothed "My name is Dr. Grey, I'm a general surgeon here at Seattle Grace and I'm going to be taking care of you. We need to get you an MRI to get a picture of your insides and make sure there's no internal bleeding."

"Internal bleeding!" she gasped "But that could be bad for the baby right?"

Meredith and I both shared a look of panic as we looked at the woman on the backboard. She opened her mouth to retort but nothing came out.

"The baby is ok right?" she asked anxiously, she looked at Meredith who was still frozen in spot, then at me "I'm only ten weeks along... please tell me it didn't hurt the baby!"

I felt another sting of pain, this time it was bigger, twice as much, as if it were coming across the room at me. And it was, I looked at Meredith's face reflecting the same pain I felt. Ten weeks....it was too much, too eerily familiar.