8

"Thank you for coming to see me so quickly Meredith."

"Of course Richard." I frowned "Though I'm a little surprised that you called, is everything alright?"

"Well, yes and no." he sighed, I was getting more nervous by the minute "As you know I was sorry to have you leave me a little over two years ago."

"Yeah." I nodded.

"I knew you'd be an excellent surgeon, you're just like your mother. I was very sorry to lose you."

"I'm sorry Richard, I just needed to work elsewhere. It was too stressful at home."

"Yes," his eyes dropped "I'm also sorry to hear you and Derek split up."

"We divorced." I corrected him.

"It's still sad, and I was never able to extend my condolences to you."

"It's fine Richard." I shook my head "But what am I doing here?"

"Well this is under the table still, but it'll be happening soon. There's going to be a merger between Seattle Grace and Mercy West."

"Merger?" I gulped. That was never good.

"Yes, due to budget cuts we're having to merge the two hospitals into one. Mercy Wester's will be coming to Seattle Grace permanently... but not without some cuts on both ends."

"Oh god." I panicked "Richard, thank you for telling me I'll be sure to be on my top game."

"You don't need to be concerned."

"I don't?" I frowned.

"Meredith, I know you left for reasons." He sighed "But I want you....I need you back. I can't guarantee what Mercy West will do with you, though I doubt they'll cut you, I can't promise anything. But I can promise that if you sign back on with me... your job and position here at Seattle Grace will be secure."

I thought about it for a long hard minute.

I'd have to say goodbye to my Mercy West friends-although, they would hopefully be coming over anyway.

I'd have a longer drive to work, but driving soothed me anyway. I'd get to work with Cristina and everyone again.

And I'd have to see Derek more...

Sold.

"You mean I won't have to wear my crappy orange scrubs anymore?"

"Excuse me?" Richard rolled his head back a little.

Guess he wasn't expecting that response.

"Sorry." I shook my head and tightened my brow in thought "What are your plans for me sir?"

"Plans?" he asked "Well I plan on helping you succeed; I can up your contract and pay a little if it'll entice you more."

Oh, this was my opportunity to bargain, though I'd already made my decision.

"I want an attending position waiting for me next year when my fellowship is up." I said "I want to only answer to Dr. Miranda Bailey and I want a decent sized office, not the closet you had her in. And yes, I want to be paid more than what Mercy West offered me."

Richard pursed his lip and scribbled something on a pad of paper, he scooted it to me, my brow lifted.

"That'll do."

"So is that a yes Dr. Grey?"

I sighed with contentment for the first time in months.

"Yes."

He stuck his large dark hand across the desk, I shook it.

"Welcome back Dr. Grey."

"Thanks chief." I smiled "It's good to be back."