nine

Two weeks had passed by with Moon Nabi being Kim Seokjin's wife, and whilst he kept details about his daily work in the Seoul Mafia private, Nabi was enjoying her time with him.

They had made it an occurence that every Friday evening, they would go on a date, a new place each week and most often afterwards, they'd end up in each other's embrace on their bed, dozens of kisses and lovebites exchanged. The idea of sleeping with him, consummating their marriage did not seem to repulse the Moon girl anymore, but she was still hesitant to do it, still delaying it as much as she could.

She had even formed a deep friendship with her brother-in-laws, Namjoon matching her love of books and art and history, whilst Taehyung shared her passion in fashion and parties, which he was an expert in.

They'd already had the awkward family dinner together, something that Nabi was sure she had only got through it due to the simple fact that Seokjin had been reassuring her with his hand on her thigh beneath the table. Her father-in-law was... strange, not a man she would like for a father herself. 

He had made excrutiating comments about her visual appearence, or how her and Seokjin's children would be beautiful. If it wasn't for Seokjin, or Taehyung's jokes between dinner, she would have walked out.

So it had surprised her greatly when the next day, the boys' stepmother, Jang Mina, had offered Nabi to tea.

"Oh Nabi, you look beautiful!" She smiled, pulling the new member of Kim family into a hug.

"Thank you so much for the offer of tea," Nabi returned the expression, shrugging her coat off, handing it to the maid who awaited by the corner. 

"I thought it would be nice to have a girl chat, the two of us," Mina gestured to the sofa and as they sat down, piles of cakes and snacks began to be brung in. "Often in a family mostly full of men, it is rather difficult to enjoy time,"

"Father-in-law and the three boys," Nabi nodded, impressed at Mina's persistance. "It must've been hard,"

The Jang woman sighed. She was still beautiful, only in her late forties, approaching her early fifties. But the Moon girl knew that she had been wed to the boys' father in her early twenties, not uncommon within mafia circles.

"I was - afraid," She began. "Three boys, the sons of the Capo, destined to be powerful men when they were older. Namjoon was a good boy, although, he was very quiet, it was Taehyung and Seokjin that I couldn't get a grip on,"

"Taehyung was a boisterous boy, full of energy, always getting himself into trouble and whilst it sparked the idea from his father for him to start his initiation process alongside his older brothers, he was only seven. Still a child,"

Mina shook her head as though to express her disapproval, but Nabi knew that even if she hadn't been supportive of the idea, she would never have been able to voice her dislike. 

"Seokjin was impossible to understand. He was quiet, extraordinarily quiet, and you could see how protective he was of his younger brothers, he would have done anything for them, still would. But he was always so cold, you barely saw him smiling. At first, I thought it was to do with his mother's death- "

"How did his mother pass?" The Moon girl questioned as Mina looked uncomfortable.

"I only know what Hamin told me," She lowered her voice. "And I never brought it up in front of the boys. You should ask your husband for the details but Seokjin was the first to discover his mother's body,"

"Discover the body?"

"Their mother, she- she committed suicide,"

A grave silence hung amongst the two as Nabi regarded Mina's words. She continued.

"Seokjin was only nine when it happened, Namjoon seven and Taehyung six. All of them were so young, and I'm sure it traumatised the poor boy. But even if it did, he would never be able to show it,"

A horrible, sinking feeling settled in Nabi's stomach. Of course he hadn't been allowed to show his grief. In their world, boys were to be bare of any emotions that could show weakness, even if they had witnessed their own mother's death. 

She could already imagine nine-year-old Seokjin not wanting to converse with anyone, wanting to protect the boys he loved most in the world. He had lost so much at such a young age.

Both his mother and his innocence.