eight.

I sit on the couch with the Curtis brothers and Andrew. It's 2:00 am; Ponyboy and Johnny were due back 2 hours ago. Darry's getting tense, which is making me nervous, which is making Andrew hold me tighter against his chest, which I don't happen to mind at all.

Finally, a few minutes later, I see Ponyboy in the front yard, but no Johnny. He walks through the door.

"Where the hell have you been! Do you know what time it is?!" Darry screams. Ponyboy shakes his head slowly. I can tell by the look on his face that he knows he's really in for it.

"Well, it's 2 o'clock in the morning, kiddo."

"Hey Pony, where've you been?" Soda says as he awakens from his slumber.

"I fell asleep in the lot," he says, irritated.

"You what!?" Darry asks.

"I was talking to Johnny and I fell asleep in the lot. I didn't mean to," Ponyboy says.

"Yeah? Hey, I can't even call the cops because you two would be thrown in a boys home so fast it would make your head spin!"

"Come on Pony, let's go to bed now," Soda tries.

"Look, I said I didn't mean to," Ponyboy says quietly.

"'I didn't mean to', 'I forgot', that's all I ever hear from you!" Darry yells.

"Oh come on, Darry!" Soda says.

"You shut up! I'm sick and tired of you sticking up for him, you hear me!?"

"Don't you yell at him!" Ponyboy says.

Then Darry does it.

He slaps him across the face.

Ponyboy falls backward and topples over onto the table. He runs out and I run after him, the screams of Darry and Soda following us down the street. I feel my throat begin to clamp shut, but I see the lot up ahead so I keep running. When I get there, Ponyboy and Johnny rush to me, and then everything goes black.