forty one.

6 MONTHS LATER

***Ellie's POV***

Facing the fact that I'm about to be a single mother of twins hasn't gotten easier over the last 6 months. I can barely take care of myself, how am I supposed to take care of two others?

The only thing that makes this OK is that the babies will give me something of Steve. Having two things that are basically half him will be pretty heartwarming.

Today, all of the girls are getting food at the Dingo because we barely ever get to spend any time together anymore. Everyone got jobs to help with bills and stuff like that. Kayla and Alex work at a local clothing store together, Victoria works at a diner in town, Bailey works at a shoe store, and Lauren maintains the gang and keeps everyone in line. I lay down on the couch and eat all the food.

I walk into the Dingo with Alex and we ask the waiter for a table for 6. He seats us, and almost immediately, Kayla walks in. She sits next to Alex, who is across from me.

A couple minutes later, Lauren and Victoria walk in. Victoria sits next to me and Lauren pops in next to Kayla.

Finally, Bailey comes running in. She has a slight cut on her cheek and a black eye on the same side. She sits next to Victoria.

"Got jumped on the way here," she explains and we all nod our heads in understanding.

The waiter comes back and we all get milkshakes and fries. Everyone digs in, but I'm hesitant because my stomach hurts.

"So then I said, 'Well he's mine, so it shouldn't be a problem for you.' And you know what that crusty hoe said? 'Who in their right mind would date Two-Bit Matthews?' And so I had no choice but to punch her in the nose," Bailey says with a laugh. Everyone else at the table laughs too. "So then we got into a fight and that's how I got the cut and the black eye."

After a while, my stomach starts to really bother me. I feel really uncomfortable, and my back is cramping up. Plus, I'm super nauseous.

"Ellie, are you doing okay?" Alex asks me. I nod and take deep breaths to try and make it go away. It has to just be normal pregnancy stuff, right?

"Are you sure?" Kayla asks.

"Yeah, just some normal pregnancy stuff," I assure everyone.

"Ellie, you're less than a month away from giving birth. Are you sure this is everyday stuff?" Lauren says.

I slowly shake my head. I've never experience stomach pain like this.

"It wouldn't hurt to check in with Doctor Hemingway," Alex says. I nod and we all get out of our booth and get into our cars. Alex drives me to the doctors while the other girls are going to go home. We agreed that if it was anything bad, we'd call them.

"Hi, this is Alex Matthews, can I please speak to Doctor Hemingway?" I hear Alex say. I hold my breath and stare out the window. 

"Well, she says she feels uncomfortable, nauseous, and her back is cramping up."

I turn and see Alex nodding.

"Okay, we're on our way," she says and hangs up. Then she makes a mad U-Turn and heads in the direction of the hospital.

"Where are we going?" I ask her.

"The hospital," she says. "Doctor Hemingway thinks you're in labor."

My heart drops.

I'm pretty sure Alex disregards all of the traffic laws after that. She gets us to the hospital in 4 minutes when it really should have taken us 15.

"Excuse me, I need a doctor!" she yells once she helps me out of the car. Nurses come running with a wheelchair and pull me away from Alex. The last thing I see is her running to a payphone.

***Alex's POV***

As soon as I know the nurses have Ellie, I make a beeline for the nearest payphone. I decide to call Lauren first because she's good about communicating information to the gang.

"Hello?" She says.

"Hi Lauren, it's Alex. Listen, we're at the hospital because the doctors think Ellie went into labor," I explain.

"Oh, my! Okay, I'll grab Two and Darry, anyone else she wants there?"

"Really anyone that wants to come I guess," I say and hang up. I stand outside of the hospital and wait until I see Darry's truck.

I see him park and I walk over to his car. The entire gang somehow fit themselves inside of that car and are proceeding to pile out.

I lead the gang back into the lobby and instruct Two-Bit to follow me into Ellie's hospital room.

We find her screaming in pain lying in her hospital bed. I don't think we need a doctor to confirm her labor anymore.

"Holy shit," Two-Bit says as we rush to her bedside.

"Alex, I can't do this, it hurts so bad..." Ellie says. She screams and writhes and cries.

"No, Ellie you can do this!" I tell her. She shakes her head and clenches her eyes shut.

"Ellie, believe me, you can! Before you know it, your beautiful babies will be here," Two-Bit says in a calming voice. 

Ellie turns on her side and cries into my hand. This is going to be a very long day.