Chapter one

𝐽𝑎𝑦𝑙𝑎 𝐶𝑜𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑙𝑙 ✞

"Jacob hurry up we finna be late!" I shouted out to my son as I adjusted my hair and prepped his lunch for the day

Moments later small foot steps are heard coming towards the kitchen and I see my little king with a mean mug.

"You're so dramatic we're not even late. School doesn't start until 8;30." He whined and I sent him a look.

That was my son right there. Jacob aka my rock, my world, my little king. His about 7 years old and is in the first grade.

This little munchkin has been the light to my tunnel after his father left me and fled to Harlem. I was left to fend for myself. My family was there but there wasn't really much they could.

Anyway really. They warned me not to get what his daddy but my younger self was too blinded.

When he became older... I told him about why his father isn't in the picture. He was frustrated which was understandable, as anyone child would be if their father up and left them for no good reason.

Lemme confirm something so y'all don't get it twisted. My baby daddy wasn't deadbeat by all means I mean he could be trash at times, give me unnecessary headaches.

But he wasn't deadbeat, he would call and FaceTime Jacob every day and night, checking in with him.

Asking about his day and letting him vent for hours about his obsession with Basketball.A interest they both shared.

So he was involved but not entirely involved if that made sense.

Even supply money to us which we always get into a argument about, because I'm a grown ass woman that's more than capable of providing for my son.

But hey I'll take it. He still gotta pay child support.

I've been doing this since I was 16 what makes him think I need help now.

But I guess him and I just grew out of love and it was never really there in the first place.

"Hush lil boy, it's 7:50 and you take 10 minutes to eat your food and the drive let alone is far so don't play with me." I say pointing a finger at him and he sighs.

"Yes mama." He begins eating his breakfast as I start to tidy up the house a little.

It was just the two of us, however this boy sure as hell can make a mess.

"Alright I'm ready mama."

"K let's go lil man."

— time skip

My hypothesis was indeed correct as we had left the house 8:10 and got to his school at 8:30.

We weren't that late since I saw other children saying goodbye to their parents and some walking to the school grounds.