2. A letter from a gentleman

...

"Alvin, I absolutely despise you."

Said man rolled his eyes, groaning. "Come off it, Lizzie. This is the third time you have told me this."

"Good. You ought to hear it for the rest of your life for what you have done to me."

"Your words lose effect the more you say them, sister."

"I fail to give a damn, brother."

Alvin grinned cheekily. "Excuse you? I believe I did you a favour. Now Mr. McCallum will go home with a restless mind, and surely call upon you tomorrow. You should be thanking me."

"You cut my waltz short, Alvin! It was a waltz; do you not get it? A waltz!" Elizabeth let her discontent known without restraint, making him feel a tad bit guilty.

"For that, I ask for forgiveness. Surely you would not hate me for rescuing myself from a situation that vexed me?"

"What situation?" Lizzie snorted very unladylike. "Did a mama catch you loitering about and introduce her daughter to you?"

"More like a man did." He mumbled, but his sister had ears as sharp as a feline.

"What? A gentleman? Really? And what did he dare to do that has vexed you so?"

"Ask me to dance."

"What! Alvin!" Lizzie exclaimed, her annoyance forgotten and eyes bright with excitement.

"A waltz, actually."

"Alvin, my Gods, this is so exciting!" She clapped her hands in a cheer. "You found a gentleman on your first ball! What was he like?"

"Absolutely vexing."

"Oh, shush, don't be coy now. What was his name? Was he a lord? Did you accept his dance? Oh, tell me you did, Alvin, or I swear to God."

"I did." He admitted begrudgingly, mostly so his sister would not go prattling off to their grandfather and get him a scolding later. "And I only know his name, and nothing else. He was acting rather mysterious. Nothing about himself, all flowery flattery bestowed on me."

"Really?"

"He was absolutely vexing." He confirmed again, nodding.

"Are you joking? That sounds like a dream, Alvin! Was he handsome? Was he tall? Did he dance well? What was his name again?"

"A Mr. Vincent Newman, I believe." He answered. "Do you know of him?"

"I don't believe I do, no."

He hummed and looked out the window of the carriage, deciding that it was in his best favour to end the conversation. It was never a good idea to give a hopeless romantic like Elizabeth any ideas. God knows what she'll cook up in that head of hers.