23. The proposal 2.0

"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes." — Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

...

Alvin walked through the hallways in agitation, running through the conversation with Amelia in his mind over and over again, unsettled and unsure of what to do.

She had asked too much of him.

Did she think him devoid of pride? It wasn't common practice for the one being courted to propose marriage to the suitor. Even if they were both men, it would solidify some very prominent positions into their marriage before it would even begin. He didn't think he could stand something like that, an unequal marriage, something like devotion to his husband who is already richer and more influential than him.

Something so similar to what his mother had for his father, even after being shunned.

His thoughts had led him to the ballroom, where the bustle of guests was now more evident. He scanned the hall and found no sign of the duke. Though he found the absence strange, he felt relieved.

"Brother." The quiet voice of Elizabeth greeted him from the side.

"Lizzie." He sighed, relieved at the sight of her, but quickly frowned as he noticed her tired, reddened eyes. "Are you faring well now? I'm ever so sorry for abandoning you."

"I'm alright." She answered, lacking spright. "As good as we can be, I suppose."

"We'll be fine, we've been here before."

"That doesn't reassure me in the least, brother."

"Oh well." Alvin rolled his eyes dramatically. "I tried."

It was only when the band of musicians entered the room to take control of their respective instruments, did the esteemed host of the ball make his appearance.

Alvin's heart soared, and then as the unrecognized, regal woman on the duke's arm smiled at the room at large, dropped a thousand kilometres deep into abyss.

"Who. Is. That?" Elizabeth spoke through clenched teeth, and her presence was the only thing that kept Alvin in control of his conflicted emotions. "He was supposed to open the ball with you!"

"I..." Alvin blinked, his voice breaking. "I have no idea, sister."

"What is he on about?" Elizabeth near about screeched in his ear, and then realization coloured her face as scarlet as her dress. "Do you think it's because of the Wilhelm scandal?

Alvin shrugged, trying not to let how dreadful the scene in front of him made him feel show on his countenance. "Beats me."

"Oh, don't play the nonchalant act, I know you better than that."

"Well, sister, then lets just say that we didn't know the duke at all, as his character is feeble enough to be swayed by the feeble minds of the ton."

"I am very cross."

"Then we must dance and improve our attitudes, Lizzie; for the two misfits must stick together!"

"I suppose so." She conceded, but turned rigid suddenly. "He's coming to us!"

"Who?" Alvin asked, distracted by a particularly fetching painting on the wall.

"What who?!" Elizabeth near about screeched in his ear like a banshee. "The duke of course!"

"What?!" Alvin balked at her for a moment before catching himself and clearing his throat. "Well, let us hear his excuse for jilting us at the peak of this illustrious event."