17. Impropriety

if you're dramatic and you know it raise your hand! 👏

...

It was the second day of their visit to Rosefair Hall, and the preparations of the upcoming ball seemed to have finally begun. Contractors poured in and out of rooms and surveyed the grounds to determine the optimum accommodations and decorations that would be worthy of a duke's ball. The guests were counselled in every step of the way, and were highly engaged in making sure that every detail would be primmed to perfection, much like it was their own house ball.

Alvin had much to say, but only on the topic of what performing arts should be presented at the ball.

"I believe a soprano would add to the theme." He declared.

"Too garish." Amelia interjected. "A simple orchestra would do."

"What do you think, your grace?" Elizabeth turned to Vincent.

"Hm." The older man smiled politely, hating to be right in the midst of familial tension. "Whatever you lot would enjoy the most, I'd be happy to provide."

He still refused to look at Alvin.

"But you have to be the deciding voice!" The youngest girl insisted. "We have too dissimilar interests to be able to agree on one act."

"How about I play instead? Damn the experts and artisans!" The duke joked, grinning, earning a laugh from his guests and dispelling the tension in the air successfully. "No, but in all truthfulness, I endeavour to do what pleases you the most." He nodded at Amelia, then Elizabeth, but not even threw so much a glance at the man he was courting.

"Pick one, your grace!"

"Then, I suppose it'll have to be orchestra, right? Classic."

"Splendid!" Amelia clapped her hands together.

"Finally!" Elizabeth sighed loudly.

Alvin, his heart stinging, stayed quiet throughout the rest of the proceedings.

...

Staring at the horses that were let out of their stables to get some exercise, Alvin puffed his cheeks with frustrated breaths, and then let them out with agitation. He had escaped the stifling environment of Rosefair Hall's parlour when he had found the duke's continued ignorance of him too much of a burden to carry, making an excuse about needing fresh air and the weather being perfect for a walk.

Now, he stared at the two young stablehands guide the horses through the fields with tedium, wishing he could have had better control over his impulsive desires, had more gentlemanly manners, had not jumped the duke like a dumb harlot and ruined whatever they had going on. But more than that he felt increasingly discomposed by the older man's sudden apathy, and even more disturbed by his own uncomfortableness with the growing distance between them, physical or emotional.

"Forgive me, my lord." A gruff voice sounded beside him and he startled, looking at the old stablemaster who had addressed him. "Oh dear, it is true!"

"Please, I am no lord." Alvin waved the title away. "But, what is true you say?"

"Oh, forgive me, my lord. I shouldn't have..." The old man trailed off, still staring at him in a surprised manner. "But my word, you really do look just-"

"Thank you, old sport. That will be all." Duke Presley's voice rang out behind them. The stable master bowed his head and scampered away, while Alvin turned around with impatient annoyance written on his face.

"We were conversing, your grace." He said pointedly.

"Nevermind him, Mr. Frazier. Old Wilson tends to muddle his thoughts and ramble a bit." Though the duke finally looked at him in the face since yesterday, the courteous smile on his face did not reach his eyes.