Chapter Ten

That next day, he was feeling a little more better. He wasn't so distraught by the information as he was now moreso just shocked that his father's death was coming around the corner so soon.

It was like some ice cream vender calling out to all the boys and girls about how I scream you scream we all scream for ice cream. Except, instead of ice cream, it was harsh and cruel death.

Was the death going to be cruel or was it going to be painless? He didn't know but he suddenly kicked that thought out of his head fast and quick. What the hell was wrong with him? Pondering over death like that. His father was still alive so he should spend as much time as possible with him.

He was in the living room with his mother, father, and sister. His mother was asking him questions about the baby.

"Have you got a name picked aside for them? Do you know if it's a boy or a girl? What names have you decided?" His mother asked. James raised his hand as a means to draw silence with a smirk on his face.

"Relax, mom. Once me and Eileen figure out all the details, we will let you know." James said. "God, it's such a mystery to me." He said the last line to his sister who responded with a light hearted chuckle in which drew her back into morbid silence.

"So, is anyone hungry?" Their father asked. Everyone agreed that they were in fact hungry and so they decided to go out to eat at a restaraunt called Dillan's Burger Joint.

"My, I haven't been to this place since I was a kid." James said with a smile.

"Count yourself lucky, I've had to go here numerous times over the past...what's it been....3 years?" Michelle asked. James chuckled lightly.

They sat down and ordered their food and waited for it to be served to them. Finally it was. 

The four of them sat there and laughed and talked and ate their meal. They reminisced over memories and such. Tears of joy sat at the edges of their eyes until they blinked thus making them fall down.

After the meal, James excused himself to go to the restroom. As he was washing his hands, a man walked over to the sink and started doing the same thing. James looked over and noticed the man and realized who he was....it was Scott McLaughlin from Junior High.

Scott was a metalhead who was merely an acquaintance to James but that was merely it. Just an acquaintance. But nonetheless, James was happy to see yet another familiar face.

"Scott? Scott McLaughlin?" James asked. The man turned over to him and wasn't sure who he was.

"Yeah, that's me. And just who are you?" Scott asked. James smiled and laughed.

"Scott...it's me...James Maxwell. The kid with a love for Vincent Price." James said. Suddenly, Scott's face lit up and he gave James a warm embrace. 

"Holy shit, you're JV?" Scott asked excitedly. "Man, it's been forever. How are you?" James shrugged.

"I'm doing alright, how about yourself?" James asked. Scott nodded.

"Everything's good, everything's good. Say, what brought you back to this dump of a town, anyway?" Scott asked.

"Well, my mom and dad called me down for marital problems but they're getting worked out." James said.

"Oh well, that's good. Hey, it was nice to see you, man." Scott said. James nodded.

"Yeah, nice to see you, too." James said and the two departed. James smiled and finished washing his hands and made his way out the bathroom door to see his mother and sister on the floor surrounding what appeared to be his father who was having....a stroke?

"Dad!" James called out and he ran over to them. "What's happening?"

"He just collapsed." Michelle said with a look of worry on her face. James got on his phone and called the paramedics and waited for them to come.