Chapter Twenty

He pulled his car to the parking lot of the hospital and took the keys out of the ignition. He walked swiftly to the hospital doors and towards the hallway where Eileen's room was. He walked into I and found Megan asleep in the chair next to Eileen's bed. James smiled benignly and gently woke her up.

"Good morning." He said to her. She smiled and got up quickly once she realized it was morning time.

"Oh wow, I didn't mean to stay the whole night...honestly." Megan said. James chuckled lightly towards her.

"No, it's fine. She needs the company. And so do you. It's fine." He said to her.

"Yeah." She said and she smiled at him as she gathered her things. "Shouldn't you be at work?"

"They gave me a month's vacation, can you believe it? A whole damn month to calm things over and seek professional help." He said. Megan nodded.

"Well, that's smart. You are going to seek it, right?" She asked him. He shrugged.

"I don't really know. I should but I don't know. I just feel nervous and unsure about it all." James said. Megan nodded.

"Well, if you need anything...anything at all...I'm a call away." She said. James nodded.

"Sure." He said.

"I don't want you killing yourself over this...it's not worth it." Megan said. James nodded.

"Thanks Megan, it truly means a lot." James said.

Megan smiled and walked out of the room, giving one last look before she did so. James sat down on the chair next to his wife's bed. He reached over and felt her hands. They were still warm. Good. Blood was still circulating her body. This meant that she was still alive. He smiled at that and started talking to her.

"Good morning. I miss you already. I don't even know if you can hear me but I hope so. Because...truth is...I'm a wreck right now. I didn't want to scare Megan but I drank a whole bottle of Disaronno and broke the mirror. I'm sorry about that." James said and he wiped some tears from his eyes.

"Remember the first Christmas we had together. When we were still dating. You stole my heart and held me by its tip. Pulling me in all the right ways. You swept me out of my comfort zone...and I loved every minute of it. And I told you that night....that you made me homesick. I wanted to spend every minute of my life with you. It truly was the best time of my life. God, those were the halcyon days. Sorry if I'm talking your head off, I tend to do that." James said. Suddenly, a voice pierced through the silence.

"That's one of your best qualities." The voice said. James turned around and saw that it was Michelle.

"Michelle...what are you doing here?" He asked her as he got up to go over to her.

"Well, word spreads fast from friends to family. God, I'm so sorry." Michelle said. The two hugged.

"Well, I'm glad you're here. How's Steve doing...since he's still attached to you?" James asked. Michelle smiled and looked down as her face faced the floor. She looked back at him.