Chapter Nineteen

James arrived at the hospital and immediately ran for the entrance. He made it down a hall and to the right, he found Megan. She ran up to him and led him to the room where Eileen was. She was lying on the bed, nervous and excited.

"Hi honey, how are you?" James asked happily. She looked at him and smiled.

"I'm nervous but this is definitely the second happiest day of my life." She responded. James looked at her intrigued.

"What was the first?" James asked. She looked into his eyes and smiled.

"The day I married you." She said. The two smiled at each other lovingly. James then kissed her on the lips.

"That's mine as well." He said. The two stared at each other in adorable silence until Eileen started breathing and groaning in pain. James stood up and ran to the doctor for assistance. They appeared and got ready to start.

"She's about to have the baby. It's time to act now." The doctor said. James nodded. The doctor got a couple nurses to come in and assist him. One nurse gave James a disposable scrub.

"Go change into this and come back to this room when you're ready." The nurse told James. He nodded.

He rushed to a restroom and changed into the scrub. In some way, he felt like Clark Kent rubbing to the telephone booth to transform into Superman. He came out and went into the room he was just in.

On his way, he caught a glimpse of an older gentleman that looked a little like his father. No, it couldn't have been. Could it? No, Richard Maxwell was dead. He had been dead for half a year now. There was no way his father was alive and in the same hospital as him. It could be a possibility. No, take that thought out of your over reactive head. Dad is dead, that old gentleman is nothing more than a mere doppelganger at best. He made it to the room and went towards his wife and held her hand.

"It's ok honey, I'm right here. You're doing great." He assured her. He could feel it in his soul that she thanked him for that. The doctor told her to push and so she did. She breathed in and out as she pushed. Then, to the doctor's horror, the baby was halfway out and completely motionless. James took a look at Eileen and she stared him in the eyes in fear. Her face was dark red. She spoke to him in gasps.

"I...can't...breathe." she huffed. James looked at the doctor and nurses in fear and confusion.

"What's going on? What does that mean?Why can't she breathe?" James asked in frustration and horror. The nurse told him to wait out in the hallway and that he couldn't stay in there.

"Why? That's my fucking wife! What's going on?" James screamed in fear. James could feel the tears on his face. He walked over to a nearby wall and kicked it with all his might, slamming his fist into it as well. He dropped down to the floor and sat there with his hands over his head.

"What the fuck is happening?" James asked himself. As he sat there, he noticed someone was walking up to him. He looked up and saw that it was Megan. He got up and went over to her.

"Is everything alright?" She asked. "What's up with Eileen?" James hugged her as tight as he could without hurting her.

"God, I'm so fucking scared right now." James said to her in tears. Megan hugged him back and sympathized with him. Megan invited him to come sit with her over on the bench. The two sat together and waited in dread for what was to happen.