Chapter Twenty Eight

James drove onto the house and walked in to find his mother in the living room watching television. He talked to her from the doorway.

"Hey mom." James said.

"Yes, honey?" She answered.

"If it's fine with you, I was just thinking of heading back home. I got work which I seemed to have forgotten about. Not to mention...Eileen is still in the hospital and on top of that I have some other things I need to take care of so...what do you think?" James asked.

Barbara walked up to him and, without saying a word, gave him a warm loving hug. James smiled as he had begun to feel safe in this moment. Finally, she spoke to him.

"As long as you don't try to hurt yourself. That's all I ask. Follow through with seeking help. Dip your toes in the water, don't immediately jump in. Most people have a hard time with seeking help because they feel the need to force everything out at once. Remember it is okay to have boundaries. It is okay to be hesitant." Barbara said to her son. He smiled and nodded at her.

"Of course you know about me seeking professional help." James said. Barbara smirked at the statement.

"Well, a little birdie take me." She said. James chuckled although he didn't doubt Clarence told her. Part of him knew she meant Michelle, he didn't want to underestimate the biblical powers that resided in Clarence. And with that, James went to his room, got his stuff together, and then left, kissing Barbara goodbye.

He got into his car and headed off to the place he dreaded but also longer to see Willow Tree in its melancholic richness.

~

James made it into Willow Tree around nightfall and was suddenly overwhelmed by tears. It felt as if coming back to Willow Tree was like walking back to a place of torment. It was like his own personal hell.

He drove to his house and got out of his car. He walked to the door and unlocked it. After walking in and locking it behind him, he immediately froze. He saw the room around him immersed in a deep dark blackness. He looked around him and couldn't help but cry. He felt as if somehow Eileen was in that blackness staring back at him. James pulled himself together and walked to his bedroom to go to bed. He went to bed and stayed asleep for the rest of that night.