Chapter Thirty Two

James walked to his car and got in. He put his seatbelt on and sat motionless in there. Suddenly, he thrusted himself in every which way and screamed in anger at himself and his situation. Finally, he stopped and drove onto his house. He got out and walked to the porch. He stood there and looked around at the scenery.

"Are you happy? You fucking happy? You wanna send me more of those goddamn index cards?" James asked angrily. Tears streamed down his face in rivers. "You know what...I'm done. I'm fucking done."

James walked into the house and entered his bedroom.

He walked to the bed and picked up the bedsheet. He hung it and wrapped it on the ceiling fan and made a noose out of it. He then walked onto the bed and put his neck inside the loop and tightened it. He took a breath and then stepped forward towards the edge. He observed the room around him and started to cry.

He remembered every night him and Eileen spent in that bedroom. God, he already missed her. He realized that he'd rather have Eileen in a coma than have her dead. Because with her in a coma, there was still a chance she could live but not when she was pronounced dead. Now that she was gone, the world felt a little bit emptier.

He sighed one last time and walked off the edge and started flinging his body around as he slowly choked to death. His eyes grew heavier within each flailing second. His body became weaker and weaker. He could feel himself fixing to die when all of a sudden he didn't.

He was fixing to breathe his final breath when he looked in front of him and saw a blue orb float around the room, turning and changing the inches behind it into a vast black nothingness. James saw this orb and wasn't afraid of it.

Suddenly, the orb morphed into an anthropoid shape. Its anthropomorphic features became more detailed and apparent the more it transformed and transmogrified. First it was a baby, then an infant, then a child, then a preteen, then a teen, and then a young adult. The orb then changed color from blue to a peachy apricot color and tint. It was at this moment that James realized what and who it was...the spirit of Eileen.

Eileen walked over to him and unwrapped the noose to which James fell to the ground, gasping for air. He regained his breath and strength. He looked at Eileen and immediately ran to her and hugged her. He buried his face in her shoulder and neck and cried as the two held onto each other close.

"God, I've missed you so much." James cried. Eileen looked at him in the eyes and spoke with a clear and crisp voice. She had a beautiful smile on her face.

"I'm here now....and I won't ever leave you." Eileen said. James looked at her confused.

"What do you mean? You're gone...you're dead....you left." James said to her. Eileen looked at him and spoke softly and gently.

"I will be here." She said and she placed her somehow warm and heavenly hand on his chest. "In your heart. Keep me there and I will never disappear." James smiled through his sadness and imminent tears. And in this moment he realized that he was right where he belonged. Right where he felt safe. Right where he needed to be.