Chapter 24: Far from you

Sebastian had pleaded with Cassie, the entire walk home, for her to tell him who she had a date with, eventually accepting the fact she wasn't going to break. When they arrived at their driveway, Cassie paused in fear, causing Sebastian to stop in his tracks, looking at her frightened expression.

"He should be gone by now," Sebastian announced, "He took the opportunity to go with Uncle Fletcher." Immediately Cassie's expression shifted, relief painting her body as she continued up the driveway with Sebastian. Sebastian opened the door, holding it open for Cassie; such a gentleman.

"My babies, finally," Karen shouted from the kitchen. "Dinners ready." Sebastian and Cassie shot one another a baffled look, they had never heard Karen this jolly before, and she was a very joyful person, perhaps the departure of Richard had given everyone a boost in serotonin they clearly needed.

Karen loved Richard, but she too was also frightened of him, this becoming very clear to Cassie when the fight had broken out Sunday, and if she had to choose, she would protect Sebastian within a heartbeat, which always gave her the impression she deserved the pain she was subject to, but she also understood how hard it can be for a mother to see their own child be hurt, and she hated that Karen had to make those choices sometimes. 

The next few months were clear to be calmer and happier for them all and that was enough.

Cassie spent her night completing assignments and essays and working on more material she could use to help tutor. She also spent an ungodly amount of time on the phone with Chrissy, discussing the date and fair which was clearly a very pressing matter to them both. The call only ended when Sebastian had argued with Cassie for the seventh time, expressing his need to also use the phone to call one of his new 'friends.' They both headed to school the next morning in both very upbeat moods, Cassie and Chrissy walking a few paces behind Sebastian to discuss more about the date, which received plenty of glares from Sebastian.

Soon enough, lunch had rolled around, and Cassie sat outside on her bench reading a copy of William Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream,' this being her second favourite playwright from William Shakespeare, the first being 'Romeo and Juliet,' understandably. She was too engrossed in her book to observe the events around her, like the football players arguing over a questionable magazine, or baseball try-outs in the court, or the countless girls who sent her unfavourable looks, only being broken from her trance when the bell rang.

Cassie made her way towards Ms Marshall's classroom, weaving in and out of the flood of students in the hallways, breaking away from them into a silent, lifeless room. She breathed a sigh of relief as she entered, making her way over to one of the desks in front of Ms Marshall's and sat down, patiently waiting for her to arrive, along with Elijah. It had been a month since the tutoring began, meaning it was time for their review, to understand the progress and what other qualities needed to be worked on. She waited for around five minutes before the door creaked open and a tall shadow walked in, unaware of Cassie's presence, which made them jump slightly.

"Princess," he gasped, "anyone ever told you not to sneak up on people like that."

"Oh yeah, I sneaked up on you," she spoke sarcastically, "whilst still sitting right here." Her voice seemed to tease him as he walked over to her, leaning against her desk.

"Yeah," he spoke in a high-pitched voice, before lowering it once more. "Nearly gave me a heart attack."

"Oh no, my bad," the sarcastic tone continued as she shrugged her shoulders. He dropped his mouth open, clutching his hands over his heart.

"Princess, your, your," he stuttered before his body fell onto the table, going limp. He lay there for a few moments as Cassie giggled but when he didn't move, she slowly stopped and examined his body, which lay statue-like on her desk.