Chapter 28: The Frodo lie

Cassie sat in Mr Johnson's math lesson, bored out of her brain as he discussed the equation for the circumference of a circle for the fourth time, something which she understood after the second time. She mindlessly read through the textbook as he went on before a commanding knock was heard at the door.

"Come in," the teacher yelled, putting his lesson on hold, small whispers beginning to break from the students.

"Alright teach," the voice said.

"Mr Montgomery," Cassie's head shot up from the textbook. What on earth? "To what do we owe the pleasure," the teacher continued.

"Do you have a," he dramatically paused, opening a piece of paper in his hand, "Lassy Harrington in here?"

"No, we have a Cassie Hassing though," the teacher almost corrected him whilst Cassie eagerly watched the interaction, eyes being drawn towards her. She had never needed to be taken out of class before unless it had something to do with Sebastian or tutoring.

"Those are 's's aren't they," Elijah spoke, pulling the paper closer to his face, analysing it. "Anyways, Ms Pauline in reception has asked for her."

"You heard the lad Cassie," the teacher almost demanded. "Will she be coming back?"

"Oh, I don't know teach, but it does seem pretty serious." Cassie studied his voice, hearing forms of mocking and sarcasm in it, something she didn't quite understand.

"Take your bag with you just in case poppet," the teacher suggested, as Cassie quickly packed her things, throwing the bag over her back as she walked towards the door. She hated that stupid nickname he had given her; it didn't even make sense. "Page 176 for Wednesday please."

"Okay," she remarked whilst she studied the board on her way out. "Also," she spoke before regretting even speaking.

"Yes," the teacher pushed.

"Sorry, it's just," she paused, analysing the board once more, catching a few more looks from the class and Elijah, who wore a smug smile on his face. "Shouldn't R equal 34 and not 54?" she questioned, her fingers moving in the air as if she was drawing the equation out in the air in front of her. Mr Johnson paused analysing the board before his face painted with embarrassment.

"You are most certainly correct young lady," he announced walking over to the board also. "And you all would have noticed if you paid attention the first three times," he directed towards the class before turning back to Cassie. "Well done. Now go, don't want to keep Ms Pauline waiting." With that, she turned towards Elijah who was already holding the door open for her. She walked out cautiously into the eerily quiet hallway before hearing the door of her class slam shut.

"Princess," he almost sang, skipping round to her side.

"Did she tell you why she needed me or," Cassie questioned as they walked through the hallway slowly.

"Hmmm," he opened the sheet of paper again, turning it all different before responding. "Yes, you work too much, and you need to stop being so smart." He paused as if he had finished before almost interrupting himself. "Oh, and you look beautiful today." She blushed at his remark before peering over his shoulder, only to see an empty sheet of paper.

"Elijah, there's nothing on there," she argued, pausing in her tracks.

"That does not mean it isn't true," he turned towards her, placing his arms on her shoulders, and looking down at her.

"Elijah, why did Ms Pauline want me?" She spoke unamused but deep down she was loving their surprising interaction.

"She didn't," he responded proudly, watching her face drop in shock, "but I did. And our study session was cut short earlier by the fire alarm, so I had to make up for lost time."