01 | All that Remains

All that Remains

TW: Mentions of self harm, child abuse & trauma.

Thursday 5th July, 1975

Elizabeth stood in a black silk dress, a goblet of the strongest Firewhiskey ever to be made, shaking in her hand. Before her stood her eldest brother Jake, his best friend Rodolphus Lestrange, his fiancé Bellatrix Black and a mutual friend Andromeda Black - youngest sister of Narcissa and Bellatrix Black.

It was a Black family Ball, the first one being held since Sirius and Regulus ran away from the family a year prior and the last one Narcissa would attend as Black member, for in two days, she would be known as Narcissa Malfoy. Elizabeth didn't like the name. She didn't think that it suited Narcissa.

"Ellie," Rodolphus grinned, eyeing the goblet in her hand. "Are you nervous?"

Elizabeth had done her best to suppress her rage. Rodolphus had been almost like an older brother to Elizabeth as she aged and for her first two years at Hogwarts. Along the way, something changed. It had most likely been during the time period that Jake had been dead and Rodolphus had lost his other half, retreating into the work of the Dark Lord.

Overtime, the same fate had occurred to Jake too. He'd been marked all too soon after being resurrected against his and Elizabeth's will, breathing air into his lungs from the magic Elizabeth provided him. Now, the two were so far beyond what they had been just two years ago. Jake Selwyn bore the Dark Mark and Rodolphus was soon to be.

Bellatrix Black had only gone mad with the pressure, the work, the amount of blood dripping from her hands. She had been kind to Elizabeth during her first two years at Hogwarts, they had grown immensely close in such a short time span and had instantly clicked.

Then Regulus ran away, her favourite of the two Black brothers, and had been captured months later. Bellatrix had helped Elizabeth save him, bringing her there and apparating them out after weeks of him healing.

Although she had said some hurtful things to Elizabeth in the Forbidden Forest, things that had hurt Elizabeth too much at the time to let go of and forgive. She had pushed Bellatrix too far, and Bellatrix had been all too eager to allow the space between them.

"No, I'm not," Elizabeth answered. A lie.

Rodolphus hummed in response, sipping his drink and watching her over the rim of his goblet.

"It's a big day for you, El," Andromeda reasoned.

"It's the day you show your strength," Jake interrupted, glaring at Andromeda - his former lover of many years - and then turning the hateful gaze onto his sister.

"I know," she sighed, sipping her own drink.

"You'll be marked by the end of the hour," Bellatrix grinned, snuggling close to Rodolphus' side, who had automatically wrapped an eager arm around her waist.

"Yes. By the end of the hour, I will bear the Dark Mark."

The severity of the situation had been dawning on her weeks before she'd departed Hogwarts. Elizabeth knew what it meant. She would be forever trapped, until the day she died and she would only be remembered as just another Selwyn following the cause. Looking back, she could have ran. She could have listened to Sirius on the Platform and gone with him, James and Regulus. But she'd already tried that, hadn't she? She'd tried to run before she'd killed the people she cherished most in the world.

Elizabeth had had so many opportunities to run, but she chose to stay and kill for the lives of her brothers and sister. Who she knew, would not do the same for her.